A few pictures to finish off the year

Photography

A few pictures to finish off the year

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm

I've been promising (threatening?) for ages to post some pictures of my summer and autumn travels. Now I've got them a bit organised, there are a few samples below, starting with some of the places we visited in the Netherlands in July.

This is the artist Hieronymous Bosch, in the Market in the centre of 's-Hertogenbosch, his home town:

Lacemaker might enjoy these, found in the social history section of the Noordbrabants Museum - 19th century lace head-coverings as worn by local ladies:

From Den Bosch, we went on to Arnhem. This is the famous "Bridge too Far", the John Frost Bridge built in 1948 to replace the one destroyed during the infamous Operation Market Garden.

In August, we went to Wiltshire for the "Imberbus" event on Salisbury Plain. Fortunately, the weather was much kinder than last year! To mark the centenary of the Great War, London Transport Museum allowed their restored B-type omnibus out to play. Here it is, approaching the Imber village bus stop in its military livery.

If anyone wants to see them, here's a link to my album which has 100-odd other pictures of this year's travels complete with fairly explanatory captions :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/114551534402773637291/2015Travels?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO-on8-TovPw_gE&feat=directlink
Andere Richtingen

Re: A few pictures to finish off the year

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:36 pm

What a fascinating set of pictures. Particularly viewing from what I think is the youngest country in the world. We have magnificent natural scenery but a 1000 years ago nobody was here! Probably why we were so entranced when we visited Turkey and Cyprus.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Lovely lace, Andere. I remember taking photos of lace in shop windows when I was in Belgium - much to my daughters' dismay ! 'Mum, you can't do that !' :lol:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Beautiful interesting pictures Andere, thanks, so well organised too.
dita

Postby Penny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Super pics. love the old bus one. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Lacemaker wrote:Lovely lace, Andere. I remember taking photos of lace in shop windows when I was in Belgium - much to my daughters' dismay ! 'Mum, you can't do that !' :lol:

My OH had a similar reaction in France when I started taking photos through a patisserie window .... I told him to just walk on and pretend he didn't know me!

ciderman_nz wrote:......viewing from what I think is the youngest country in the world. We have magnificent natural scenery but a 1000 years ago nobody was here!

One day, I will visit NZ! (I came close to being brought up there when I was 5 years old, but it all fell apart ... long story). I've always suspected that it's probably like England was before too many humans spoiled too much of it, so treasure your scenic splendours before the hordes find the place ;)

Glad you like the pics, people - it always feels a bit vain, putting 'em up here and saying 'look at me' but, what the heck ...why not?
Andere Richtingen

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:32 am

I enjoy looking at them, Andere. :sunglasses:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby caroljoyce » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 pm

I've just caught up with this thread.

Great pictures. :goodpost: