Curiosity got me started on this?

Except Personal Attacks

Curiosity got me started on this?

Postby Maywalk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Do we have any ex-service men or women here who has had anything to do with the RAF?
I ask this because when talking to one of the carers who came to me after I returned from the hospital she was telling me about an uncle of hers who had been in the RAF and had had some help from the Benevolent Fund.

It brought the conversation back after I saw an advert on the TV a few days ago about RAF veterans and their families but I always thought it was for those who had fought in any world affray.
Out of curiosity I phoned them and was told it was for anyone who had been in the RAF whether it be in combat or called up for National Service and she asked me if I had been in the forces.
I said no but my hubby had done his National Service and curiosity had got the better of me and after seeing the advert just thought I would enquire.
She then said as the wife of an ex RAF serviceman and being the age I am if they could do anything to help regarding disablity aids or legal assistance they would be more than happy to help.
She asked me for my address and has sent me quite a bit of reading about what they do and being me I am just curious to find out if anyone else has had any help of any description from them?
NO I don't really need any disability aids although Social Services have helped hubby and I in the past with getting a wet room done mainly for hubby when he was alive because of his disability but one never knows what is round the corner and just wondered if others had been in touch with this association.

https://www.rafbf.org/
Maywalk

Re: Curiosity got me started on this?

Postby vannin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Strangely enough I saw that on TV then looked online because the words National Service stood out. Also, among the clearouts I have nearly completed, there was David's RAF record. He actually served 3 and a half years which should have been 2 years, he always said they just forgot he was there! What I would have called 'demob' in my ignorance, was transfer to Reserve (1953). He would have been 89 last week, 13th Sept.

I don't have a need to call on the Benevolent Fund but if I should happen to fall on hard times, I would contact them. It is good to know about, though his Per Ardua ad Astra was long before my time. I was 11 in 1953!
vannin

Re: Curiosity got me started on this?

Postby Maywalk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:06 pm

I dont have a need to call on them Vannin either but it was more to do with a care home in the next town to me that the benevolent fund was involved with that I was looking at and it did not say anything on that about National Service.
It was also about a fortnight ago since I phoned them.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes