Getting Wound Up.

Except Personal Attacks

Getting Wound Up.

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:17 pm

I have various knitting magazines delivered mainly because of it being of interest to me and because I cant get out now like I used to. If I see anything I like that is not too big that takes my fancy I dont mind knitting while watching TV. Just finished a few phone cases for the family.
I cant do big things now because of the cramp I get in my fingers but I still like to keep up with todays patterns.
A fortnight ago I had a magazine with a free gift attached which involved 6 balls of yarn each of 25grams 3 blue and 3 yellow and a pair of bone needles. I rejected the needles straight away because I stick to my steel ones that I have used for years.
I decided to use the yarn on making squares for this project................
http://www.inspireleics.org.uk/patchworkpledge.html
Bearing in mind that the yarn has been recommended as very good by the magazine I started to use it to make the squares.
I dont think in all my years of knitting have I ever used such b****y rubbish. It keeps splitting and I for one would NEVER waste money buying it. :evil:
I have used one of the yellow and one of the blue and thats enough for me the rest can go to the charity shop or to a knitting group that needs extra yarn. I will go back to using my stash that I have accumulated over the years.

I have had one magazine with a beautiful pattern for a Collie dog.
It absolutely super and although I could knit the parts I just have not got the grip to stuff it. :huffin: :cry:

Do any of you other ladies buy any knitting magazines?
Maywalk

Postby mazzy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I have Let's knit delivered, and buy Simply Knitting from time to time. Also buy People's Friend as there are often good patterns .
I download a lot of free patterns too.

Have to agree with you Maisie - most of the yarn they give away is rubbish. One mag gave a pattern to knit a hat, but said to be careful as there may not be enough yarn to complete it :dunno: It is usually marked 'handwash only' too, which puts me off.

On the subject of knitting...the lady who runs our knitting group treated herself to a new pair of needles....just one pair....she is still trying to convince us....and herself....that they were worth the money.....£36.00...yes, thirty six pounds!!!!
mazzy

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:38 pm

BLOODY HELL Mazzy were they made of solid gold??????????

Where the hell did she get them from? I would have wanted a share in the firm who made them for that money.:evil:
What size were they or was it a circular one?

Talking of knitting books I have one dating back to 1945 and I was reading the "Yours" book a few weeks ago and someone wanted a snood pattern which I was able to print off for her and I had a lovely thankyou letter back. She takes part in a lot of the 1940 do's and wanted to look the part.
Snoods then were like this .............................

nowadays they are like big scarves that can be put over the head and throat all in one.
Maywalk

Postby mazzy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

She bought them on line Maisie - she is convinced that her knitting is much better with them, but she is a brilliant knitter anyway. They did feel quite nice, but I would want a full set of all sizes, including crochet hooks for that price.

The snood looks lovely - I often look at the 'wanted' items in Yours, but never have what they want.

Have you read the article about Lou Japp - she is the lady who runs Loving hands - she is amazing!
mazzy

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:10 pm

Yes Lou Japp is an absolutely wonderful lady Mazzy. She has not let her dreadful ordeal stop her from throwing herself into her knitting.
I have passed her website on to others who dont have the 'Yours' magazine.

You didn't say what the needles are made of?
As I said the b*****s would have to be made of pure gold for me to pay that price. :roll: :roll:
Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm

£36??! Crikey!!! I'd want gold as well! I have my Millward knitting needles in a leather bound zipper case, hubby bought them for me when we were first married and they've been used I don't know how many times. On another note, I used to love reading "Yours", every Christmas week I manage to get Good Housekeeping but not managed Yours yet!
Corrie

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

I still have my size 14s or 2mm from the war years and my set of four pins that I knitted army socks on.
Just imagine knitting a jumper for yourself with over 200 stitches on done in two ply yarn and the size or 2mm needles as they are now and the pattern being all blackberry stitch. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Boy!!!!!!! it took forever just to get the back knitted.

I am still using the steel needles I bought when I first got married.
I dont like the bamboo ones or any of the new plastic ones.
I can knit a lot faster with my old faithfuls.

Here is Lou Japps website just in case anyone is interested
because she has free patterns on there too............... http://www.lovinghands.org.uk/
Maywalk

Postby Jo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm

I enjoyed all that talk about knitting. I remember that was the first topic I entered by Maywalk. Your user name was something else then. (Frolic?)

I have knitted ever since I can remember, I have always used circular needles and have them in all sizes and various lengths.
They have many advantages, some think they are just for circular knitting, but I use them all the time.

I wonder how different the £36 ones are.
Jo

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:58 am

I have lots of pairs of knitting needles and crochet hooks but if I needed to buy another pair I would go along to one of the local charity shops, I certainly wouldn't be paying 36 pounds for them ! That is downright robbery !

I used to buy a lot of craft magazines but since a lot of the patterns seemed to be very similar after a while, I stopped buying them. I do have a lot of hardcover books as well.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Anya » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 am

Thirty six quid ???!!!! I have two sets of long stainless steel needles from my grandma, in every Continental size and very pretty colours. I was surprised to find that stainless steel was available for such items, at that time, my aunt said that granny bought them specially, at great expense, because she knitted like fury.

The needles go under my armpit and are very comfortable. I tried to sell the second set, a few times but nobody seems to knit that way.
Anya

Postby mazzy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 am

I'll ask her the brand - I've tried 'googling' but can't find them.

They were metal of some sort, with a very smooth tip. She said that they didn't split the wool....neither do my cheapo ones!

I can't knot with long needles..the shorter the better. At the mo I am crocheting granny squares. I have so much wool that I need to get rid of some....then I can go and restock :roll:
mazzy

Postby Maywalk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 am

Lovely to see folks have been interested in this thread. The ladies that is and yet there are quite a few men that knit.
Look at Alan Dart and all the super creations he has designed.
http://www.alandart.co.uk/pages/products

All this talk about knitting ladies why not start a thread showing what we have all made or at least some of them. Both knitted and crocheted. I cant crochet but I love to see it.

It will be nice to see the different garments or goods that have been done with a lot pf patience and love.
It will make a change from the usual everyday news that always seems so ruddy gloomy.
Who will be the first to put up a photo of their makes???????????????
Start a new thread so that we are not trawling through old postings.
Come on dont let me down.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes