At the supermarket...

Except Personal Attacks

At the supermarket...

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Whenever I go to Tesco or Sainsburys I nearly always buy luxury/non food items as well. Yesterday at Tescos I popped in for some milk & veg and came away with some headphones for my ipod. At Sainsburys last week I treated myself to 2 paperback books and a leather bag and a bar of Bournville chocolate.... Supermarkets can be quite interesting.

How about you .... Do you impulse buy or stick to a list?.
caroljoyce

Postby Monsy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

.........just don't let me loose in a supermarket. The things I see that I suddenly just can't live without........
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Robbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 pm

How about this then? .........

On Sunday, I was out at a cash & carry with my daughter when, as we passed the wet fish counter she asked, "What are those fish dad?" She was pointing at some flatties. I told her the names i.e., dabs, plaice, etc. and she then brought me to a standstill with, "I've never eaten a flat fish, you only ever use cod, haddock, salmon and scampi. Thinking briefly, I agreed she was right. My late wife loved plaice but we'd never given it to our daughter who was always finicky with fish. So, I bought a couple of dabs for our tea that night for her to try for flavour. I skinned and filleted them and dished them up Muniere. She loved it.

On Monday, I decided to try her with plaice. I went to Tesco's but there was no plaice on the wet counter and only breaded in the freezers. I reluctantly settled for breaded and took a box home.

About 30 minutes after arriving home, the doorbell went. I opened it to be greeted by a very attractive woman and her assistant asking if I would like to buy some fish. I burst out laughing and told I'd just been and bought some at Tesco's. She jokingly pulled a face and said hers was much nicer and fresher than theirs. Anyway, I asked what it was she was selling. She rattled off the usual names including a few foreigners. I responded with,"You didn't mention one flat fish !". I've got some breaded plaice she replied. "And, that's what I just bought in Tesco" I said. She responded with, "I did have some lemon sole but I've sold it all", ....."And I'd've had some of that", I said. "Half a mo", she said, "My mate in the other van might still have some, I'll find him and ask .....I'll be right back."

Sure enough, about 15 minutes later she returned with her colleague who had a 2½Kg box of lemon sole under his arm. He opened it to show me and it looked good. There were 8 very large soles in there frozen solid. However, not to be "sucked in" I asked when they were caught and where they were landed. Dover, on Saturday, he replied. That was good enough for me; and he showed me the side of the box where the "Use by" date is December 2011. And so I forked out £58.90 for box a fish on my doorstep. It transpired in conversation they are a local firm with other branches dotted around the UK - call themselves Neptune's Table - and left me with brochure listing all, the goodies they sell...Ostrich, Kangaroo, Venison.....

Nice couple of people , took my phone number and said they'd give me a ring in a couple of months to see if I wanted them to call back. They told me there was no set deliveries, some customers only have them once a year others every week...it's up to me they said.
Robbie
Honorary Member

Postby Tiddles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

I stick to the list.
Tiddles

Return to Anything Goes