BT or not to be?

Except Personal Attacks

BT or not to be?

Postby Monika » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:10 pm

I am heartily sick and tired of BT Broadband.

If you're getting a good deal from an other provider, would you please post and let me know who.

When we moved here, last November, I had to cancel it and start again (why I don't know) and I don't like what they're trying to do with my account now. The new one took effect on the 30th November, the first three months were free and it's only now that we've found they've moved the goalposts. I know that they will say that we cannot cancel until 18months are up, but they are not doing what they agreed to do when I spoke to them on the phone late last year.

Any advice?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Victors Mate » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Not the cheapest but reliable if there is an Entanet re-seller in your area they would be well worth a look.
Victors Mate

Postby mo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:11 pm

I have Virgin, which use to be NTL and I love it.
hey are always helpful and the telephone calls can be free on their special line. I know it can be very busy but if I have a problem I usually ring late at night and I get answered almost straight away.
mo

Postby mazzy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:40 pm

We have been happy with virgin - hope I'm not speaking too soon though, as we are having a broadband upgrade and new router etc tomorrow. Hope it goes ok
mazzy

Postby Monika » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks VM, mo and mazzy. I'll go and have a look at the different options.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Robbie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 am

I've been with BT for a number of years. Initially I had the "Up to 8 Mbps". This averaged out at about 6 Mbpts. A couple of weeks ago I changed to their new, superfast "Up to 40 Mbps" fibre optic supply. Prior to doing so, I used their 'test' facility to see what my phone location should achieve. The answer was 30 Mbps. I decided to take the plunge and order the new, faster offer. It was installed for me by a visiting BT engineer and the end result is I now have superfast BT broadband , not at 30 Mbps but averagely 35 Mbps. I'm more than happy.

I asked the engineer why there was a loss of 5 Mbps and he explained that the fibre optic that carries the signal only goes as far as the green junction box "up-the-road". It's 40 Mbps to that point. From there to my house the signal comes through the existing copper wire. For this reason, the signal deteriorates a little and that accounts for the 5 Mbps loss. If my PC was "hard wired" directly to the fibre optic then I would get all 40 Mbps.

And the variation on cost ?....... negligible: in fact it's a quid a month less :thinking:
Robbie
Honorary Member

Postby Vince » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 am

Sorry to hear you've been having difficulties with BT, Monica but I'm the same as Robbie and well pleased with BT.

When I change anything with BT I'm very pedantic about reading everything before swinging into action with any changes - including the the small print, maybe I've just been lucky so far.
Vince

Postby Old-n » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 pm

I am with NTL or Virgin its the same.

I get 10m Broadband no limit down load, free Wireless D-Link set up, free Freeview box works off the cable, Free telephone calls 7 -24 with 0844, and 0845 numbers free, But you have to pay for calls to mobiles.

I pay about £35 a month, that is if the wife as not rang my granddaughter's mobile.
Old-n

Postby mo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm

I trust Richard Branson.
mo

Postby Monsy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I did away with BT altogether when they started charging for caller display.

I am on TalkTalk

Line rental, free calls evenings and weekends, and broadband £24 a month
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby mazzy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm now on 50 m broadband ...I think.
Had our upgrade today - both tower PC's working ok - Trev's laptop ok....
my laptop doesn't want to know!
Supervisor coming tomorrow to sort it -apparently they have had 3 similar incidents today - all to do with Vista and drivers...hope it's sorted in the morning.
mazzy

Return to Anything Goes