Hi Dita and all

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Hi Dita and all

Postby dita » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi Penny and all, have just been perusing through our last few threads and realized how popular Shepherds Pie is :) must admit that I put it along side Stew & Dumplings at our house as being favourites. Going to be a bit of a rush this afternoon Penny, had to nip to Sainsburys before lunch and now I am here hearing the news that young man visiting at 4pm, blimey its all go ? Had a call from my cousin who lives on his boat, he has just come out of hospital after severe kidney and other problems, to be treated he had procedures done at 3 different hospitals one being Nottingham, he said they were all marvellous and he couldn't fault anyone. Hugs from Dolly Penny and take care all xx
dita

Postby Penny » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Dita and all. What a busy day for you, mine has been the same. Sorry to hear news of your cousin, hope all goes well for him, specially as he lives alone. OH like shepherds pie and stew with dumplings. Not for me. Just had chicken fillets today, They were sent by mistake instead of a small chicken. Can't say they did anything for either of us. Very dry. Have you cooked them, if so, how? Still very windy here and sun is in and out. Hope Dolly is now over all her probs. Big hug from me and same to little ones. OH is away with the wind. Take care all. I hope everyone is keeping well. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Penny » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Just say he is on his way. Watch out for his dark blue pants with a red stripe. His blonde hair was all curly today due to winds. Take care. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Vannin wrote:I often wonder how we weathered our childhood and are still soldiering on.

I grew up in houses like that, too, Vannin. Delicate frost patterns on the bedroom window; the outside loo frozen up despite the Valor stove kept burning in there; only one room heated most of the time; the sitting room floor - Marley tiles laid on a concrete base - sweating condensation whenever a fire was lit in there because it was so deep-down cold; sleeping in flannel pyjamas, vest and socks with a coat thrown over the already heavy pile of bedding because the bedroom was so cold.... Yes, we survive but it's despite our early life, not because of it. And Public Health England's data bear out my original assertion that people who live in cold houses tend to die younger. I'll dig out the link if anyone's interested.

How odd that you, too, have developed a cat allergy. This has happened to a couple of people I know in the past 18 months and I'm beginning to think that my own apparently endless catarrh /rhinitis may well be aggravated by Lucy's presence. However, her place in this house is non negotiable but I do wonder why this is happening so much, along with all the other weird and wonderful allergies and intolerances which you never used to hear of but now are commonplace.

Talking of pets, Penny, I'm horrified when I hear of people buying puppies for silly money when there are so many loveable ones in rescue shelters needing homes. No doubt, if people want to be generous, the charities running the shelters would be glad of £600 donation but purchasing a pet just feels all kinds of wrong to me.

It's turned into a really lovely bright and breezy afternoon now it's too late to do anything much with the day. Last night was pretty wild but all our roof tiles stayed on and so did the power, although the lights flickered a few times. No great plans for the weekend as the eeather looks so iffy. Daughter is continuing to progress slowly and I hope Dita's cousin gets on OK now he's home. (After his excursions round all those hospitals, he can occupy himself while he's convalescent by writing the definitive guide to Eadt Midland medical facilities!)
Andere Richtingen

Postby Penny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Morning Dita and all, What a dull morning and quite cold. Wind has dropped now,I think a little rain is due. Grandson off to Uni today and granddaughter to hers on Monday. Looking out, just had a little rain but nothing now. Do hope your cousin is on the mend Dita. Must be dreadful to be so ill when living alone.Bad enough with a partner. Planned a nice ham salad for lunch but not the right sort of day so have to be a meal from the freezer. Do hope Dolly is ok along with all little ones. Give her a big hug and same for others. Now, take care all and keep warm. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Andere said: ' ...... the outside loo frozen up despite the Valor stove kept burning in there; '

Remember the top-milk/doorstep goings-on? This anecdote is popped into most of these memories. When the milkman left the pints on the step and bottles had cardboard lids (great for making woolly pompoms with later!) Milk had a topping of cream then and the freezing conditions made the cream swell and pop the lids up to balance on top of these (sort-of) cream lollies. Great joy for the birds who could then feast on them with more ease than in later years when modern bottle-tops meant they had to peck holes in them first.

Speaking of 'more ease' I am just beginning to recover from my Wednesday flu jab which gave me a horrible arm and shoulder, red and swollen, plus - basically - 48-hour flu. I have never reacted before except with slight sniffles. Didn't sleep on Thursday night bur got a couple of hours in the daytime. Claire and Charlie due today till tomorrow so I AM OK! :please:
vannin

Postby dita » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Penny and everyone, what interesting reading from you all about the old days of cold bedrooms, coal fires, cold floors and the like, I have plenty tales too, we lived with my Grandma, no electric and there was a pump outside for water and the midden toilet with wooden seat which Grandad emptied was a sight to behold, must say I have the most wonderful memories from those times in my life despite any hardship :) Thanks for all your kind mentions of Tony my dear cousin, he was born to my Mums sister she was 45yr old and had struggles so hard to achieve a child, it was not long to realizing that his eyes were not functioning adequately and one had a terrible cast which was eventually operated on and successful, it didn't help that his Dad died on his 1st birthday either ?? Think he has a good relationship with his neighbours who also live on boats because he is quite happy, we keep in touch by laptop and phone at the moment until he is feeling stronger, he will then be over here quite often again as usual, my OH will not drive so far these days or we would see him more.
:):) Yippee!
WoW! Penny that young man looked so sexy, those blue pants with or without the stripe very tempting to the eye---------big hug to you from Dolly and take care everyone xx
dita

Postby Penny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Dita and all, Hope everyone is on the up today. How are you today vannin, sorry you had a bad time re flu jab. Making me think twice now. Weather lousy today, so dull, slight showers and rather cold. mustn't grumble as the rain is needed. Remember Strictly is on early at 6.15 cheers penny
Penny

Postby twin1947 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Gooeveing all,
Well its rained all day and still going it,oh well hopefully my pears and apples will start to get bigger.

I have just watched Strictly come dancing,really enjoyed the dancing tonight and picked a few favorites out already
twin1947

Postby Penny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 pm

same here,loved the cricketer,thought he was great, not the best but very good. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby maggieh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:48 am

Good morning everyone.Gosh what lousy weather we have got today.It's going to be a day with lights on.Thought it was earlier than 8am when I got up.I don't have to go out in it today.So will have a day of doing whatever.

I always get a sore arm after a flu injection,although I haven't got a appointment yet.At long last I am having my ears syringed on Tuesday afternoon.Have waited over 2 months for this.

Glad your daughter is recovering well Andere.

Went to spend a few hours with Logan yesterday we didn't mention school. :mrgreen: He is getting taller now.Saw my granddaughter at the bus stop on her way to work.She managed a grunt to me. :roflmao:

Hope your grandson likes his time at uni,Penny.Your granddaughter must be nearing her end at her uni I think.As my GD started moreless same time as yours.But she has had a year out with changing uni's.She has to go back as a second year now instead of 3rd.

I am back to my drawing group on Wednesday,it has been a long summer break.Must get my pencils sharpened. :mrgreen: I have changed Noddy's day to Thursday as being up and out on Wednesdays the last thing I want is getting back at 12.30 and him following me up the stairs.Then he falls asleep. :groaner:

Have a nice day all.Keep dry and warm.
maggieh

Postby Penny » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Pleased you are sorted out Maggieh, will be great for to to get back to drawing group. G/d is going back to Uni on Monday which is the start of her second year.son sent picture of apartments at Newcastle Uni, simply fantastic.

Hi Dita and all, After a night and early morning rain, it has just stopped. Been rather cold. It looks dull but signs that it might brighten up. Nothing planned today, son is on way back so that they can go to the Saracens match this afternoon, starts at 3 pm. Hope its on Tele. Give Dolly a big hug and hope she is now back to normal. Hugs for little ones too.Take care all and keep well. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi Penny and all, just been checking on the Rugby, think its on BT Sport, we haven't got that so that's us out, darts isn't my thing either on BBC2. Pleased you are going back to your drawing class Maggieh, wish I could go too -------I'll have to go live my son:) I have not had a flu jab for 3 or 4 yrs now because of a virus afterwards and found out later it could have been that which caused a really bad reaction, although they have supposed to have improved it some-what I still feel uneasy about having it again. Watched Strictly enjoyed it too, got to decide now who I fancy? Dolly is full of beans again Penny and sends you a big hug, and take care everyone xx
dita

Postby Penny » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Morning Dita and everyone, Where are you all today?. Out sunning I expect. Simply wonderful weather with sun and a clear blue sky. Do hope all are well. Nothing planned today except ham salad with baked potato. Takke care all, Big hug for Dolly and little ones. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Penny and all, maybe everyone has been where we have just been Penny buying a couple of bottles of booze which are on offer at Sainsburys :) it is nice and sunny here but can also see a few black clouds on the horizon. Just had a big home made burger in between 2 bits of bread----it was beautiful. Hug from Dolly ad take care everyone xx
dita

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes