Trixie update

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Trixie update

Postby vannin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you Penny, Dita and Andere and LK. Trixie is remarkably intelligent about her own condition, I think. She has had to endure it for seven annual seasons now, but in her first year, she was in the foster home and semi-captivity. There was no chance to pick up the mites if she was not in the open.

The past week was a really scabby one and she was fed-up and over-grooming unsurprisingly. I was not making great efforts to put stuff on her, but observing how she was. I don't think it reached big stress levels because she still wanted cuddles and long sleeps with me in the recliner. Crucial not to lose her trust by fussing. She made up her own mind to stay in all yesterday and last night and this morning and, unbelievably, seemed to want a litter tray. I keep one just in case, with a bag of litter, thank goodness.

But just before I went to get it, she was taken short, poor Trixie, and literally, it was in the bathroom. Never happened before and I blame myself for not opening the door quicker. The tray was used in the night and she is still interested in it. She is sleeping again now, scabbiness much reduced. More later.
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:04 am

Cats are lovely, aren't they? I've had several who, if an "accident" was inevitable, would head for the bathroom. We had one who actually used the loo - although it took him a couple of years to learn which way round to sit! Maybe you should keep the litter tray in place full time now Trixie's decided it won't bite her on the bum and thus encourage her to stay in?
I hope her scabs get better soon but it really sounds as if you and she are just about on top of the mite situation for now. Long may it continue.
Indolent purrs from Lucy Katt who's sprawled in the sunshine keeping an eye on her domain.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Penny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am

Super update on Trixie. Fully agree with Andere, keep the tray where Trixie is able to use at short notice. She is a luck. Puss having such a carer. Keep up the good work but at the same time take care of yourself. Big hug for Trixie. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Sounds to me that all your hard work and care for Trixie is paying dividends now Vannin, I am so pleased for you both.
dita

Postby vannin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks Dita.

However, one word describes this weekend. Hairballs! :sad:
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 pm

vannin wrote:....Hairballs! :sad:

LK and I have found a solution to that problem: Johnson's Hairball Remedy.

It's a malt based paste in a plastic tube so it smells and tastes sweet so most cats will love it. You don't put it on food but squeeze about 2cm on to your finger or the cat's paw and she'll lick it off and probably ask for more. We get it from the local pet shop but it may also be in bigger supermarkets or online. I dose Lucy about 3 times a week during the mounting** season and we haven't had an unfortunate incident for months now.

**Oops. Blasted predictive text! That was supposed to be 'moulting' :tantrum2:
Last edited by Andere Richtingen on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andere Richtingen

Postby vannin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Oh bless you, Andere and LK. I shall look it up to order online. :magnify:
5 minutes later. Ordered from Amazon, it is due to arrive on Thursday. I know that means three days of possible imminent trouble, but she actually has not had a repeat since this morning and I hope to be ready for next time. I was half-expecting this because she has over-groomed so much. I had to stop brushing her because the scabby back was/is sore.

The Felliway has been in use and does help calm her. Our town no longer has a pet store and I can't get to either of the large supermarkets till Tuesday so fingers crossed Amazon won't be late!
vannin

Postby vannin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Andere! Amazon excelled itself and the Johnson remedy arrived yesterday morning not today. My first attempt with a dose on my finger brought Trixie's very tentative inspection and a turning-away of the head. I then put it on her paws so she licked it off but not looking overjoyed. I'll try another one shortly, though there has not been an appearance of the problem and she is eating well and stopped hiding in a cupboard. Her liking for the litter tray has been a big surprise and staying indoors has been very beneficial as we'd expect. It is the only real solution to the picking-up of mites and she obviously worked it out for herself. One would not want her to become an indoor cat though and I hope we will both have a good transition from the temporary arrangement but impossible to know WHEN!
vannin

Postby Penny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Sounds great vannin. Fingers crossed. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Contrary, aren't they? I thought she'd love that sweetish, malty paste and slurp it off your finger in a second. But perhaps she's just cautious about new tastes and will learn to love it. I hope so because it's certainly been effective here. Tell Trixie that LK will only be too pleased to come over and help out with it!

We used to give Lucy the Whiskas anti-hairball treats and she loved them but then they changed the formula or something and Madam absolutely won't touch them now. If we put them in the bowl with her Iams, she carefully picks them out and puts them on the floor!

I understand what you mean about not wanting Trixie to be an indoor cat because it's always seemed to be against nature for a cat not to go out. But, if she makes that decision for herself then maybe it's OK? Purrs from here to both of you.
Andere Richtingen

Postby vannin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 am

Andere Richtingen wrote:I understand what you mean about not wanting Trixie to be an indoor cat because it's always seemed to be against nature for a cat not to go out. But, if she makes that decision for herself then maybe it's OK? Purrs from here to both of you.

The sensible half of my brain fully agrees. But my nostalgia for her devotion to the garden and the woodland, is there too. I know she has made little forays through the cat flap in the wee small hours, on two nights (?maybe more when I was sleeping) But she comes back after about ten minutes or less. I am sure all her 'business' is in the litter tray!

The old way she could hardly wait to finish breakfast then rush out to roll over and over in the flowerbed just opposite the kitchen window - that stays in my memory.In a way, she is afraid of the outdoors and it is sad for both of us. As the only solution to her condition, then incarceration is the lesser of two evils.
vannin

Previous

Return to Anything Goes