Trixie update

Except Personal Attacks

Trixie update

Postby vannin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

For Trixie, ''that' time of year came round again, starting 3 or 4 weeks ago. Last year I made up my mind that steroids would never feature again. One reason, prolonged steroid treatment could lead to diabetes. Two, because in six years, they never did anything for her improvement but she always went through agony with the itching from June till (last year) November, suffering bleeding sores, which needed vet's scrip of antibiotics if signs of infection on top of the allergy.

Three, the extreme difficulty of administering the treatment! The first three years, it was by injection, so monthly trips to the vet. She had/has vet phobia anyway. The next three years, by putting tablets in her food. She started leaving her food. When she came to me at only a year old, this condition had not started, Vets always shook their heads if I asked 'Is there any kind of soothing skincare'?'. I don't even mention the thousands of pounds wasted there.

Then, browsing Amazon, I found 'Natural Enzymes' products: Non-chemical horse or pet spray or lotion for the relieving of skin allergies related to mites etc. I got some, and have used it for a month. It is keeping her spots and lumps from causing the extreme itch and, though she puts up a token resistance before submitting, I think she knows it is the answer! Her fur is really lustrous now and her frustration and temper.....not happening. No visits to vet unless illness happens. It broke my heart seeing her drawing blood incessantly before; and also when a locum vet handled her roughly. Long may she be naturally loving and comfortable as at present.
vannin

Re: Trixie update

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 am

That's really good news, Vannin. I'm delighted for both of you. So often, natural products are a much more effective, and kinder, answer than allopathic medicines - for humans, felines and others. Science certainly has a place in our lives but it isn't always the solution.
Best wishes and purrs to you and Trixie.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Penny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Wonderful new, so pleased for puss. It must be great for her after all she has been through. Keeping fingers crossed and praying no more vet visits for her. Well done you for being brave enough to try it. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Vannin----Wow! and Wow again to hear that news, have been wanting to ask but you have not been around too much and so didn't want to ask and upset you because poor Trixie has suffered so much in the past and it is such a worry. Anyway the good news is great and something you have discovered yourself which makes it very special, I am very happy for you both xx
dita

Postby vannin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Thank you Andere, Penny and Dita from me and the purring Trixie....especially to L.K.

I knew I wasn't around very much. I was under the weather quite a lot and don't easily go into details about it, nor details of my day, because the days are all much the same, except the 21st to 24th July when the family will come. They were last here in April, but I went to spend a few hours in the new flat last month and it is very pleasant.

Then when I do start a topic - like this one - I go overboard because the news has been 'saved up'.
I found I was talking to myself during Lavonne's topic 'How Dare They?' Until you joined in, Andere. :bighugs: Now,ladies, coming right up to date, I am really sorry but I can't stand tennis!! But I sometimes look at the finals, in curiosity. :trink:

Dita, I am so sorry to hear your husband has been messed about by the (non)system and hope he will soon make a good improvement with the new treatment. Penny. I hope you will soon be free from pain and entering into your activities with gusto! :hide: Hoping Carol, Maggie, Lavonne, Laurie and everyone are coping well in their health.
vannin

Postby Penny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Wow. vannin, super post. Keep it up. Love to puss. Cheers Penny :ithanku:
Penny

Postby dita » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Vannin just sending you a great big hug and here's one from Dolly for Trixie too xx Take care of yourselves,
dita

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:59 am

It's good to hear from you Vannin. :bighugs:

I'm so glad you've found a 'natural' help for Trixie.
caroljoyce

Postby vannin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Thank you Carol x
vannin

Postby vannin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am

One month onwards:

Trixie was fine up till about ten days ago. Then she went into frenzies of scratching and drew blood. Common sense told me I would aggravate the irritation if I put lotion on bleeding skin where she had left two bald patches, on throat and back. Currently hates being touched on the neck, although a tickle under the chin used to be appreciated. So I started to spray a saline solution to keep it clean - a very fine spray. She made a fuss and then I tried applying a diluted Povidone which is said to be antibiotic. More struggling resistance but no scratching/biting.

The past few days she has stayed in exceot for toilet exits, which is great - I don't want to lock her up and she won't use a litter tray. She varied between wanting my lap all day and fending me off each time I tried to apply anything. I am sure the condition has not become an infection. She is still eating well and her ears have not become hot. There is no visible blood, and scratching is less. If I took her to the vet, her phobia would be full-on and vets just stick a needle of antibiotic, so I hope and pray to get through till November (usual end period) with continuing home care. :trink:
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am

That certainly sounds like an improvement on previous years, Viv. Long may it continue. I think you're right to stay away from the vet unless it's absolutely necessary. The moment the cat carrier came out of the shed, poor Trixie would feel betrayed. Obviously, if signs of infection did appear, that's entirely different. I do sometimes think vets are, like human doctors, far too ready with a syringe full of antibiotics.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things so Lucy K and I wish you both a mite free end to the summer. .
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am

Have been wondering about little Trixie and her horrible problem, do hope she will carry on as now for the next months Vannin and avoid that needle of meds.
dita

Postby Penny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am

Sounds as though you have solved the problem yourself. Great indeed. Keep up the good work and give her a big hug from us all by mind only, no touchee..... Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

I have passed on 'hugs' but more in the form of speaking endearments. :bighugs: It is a fine line, keeping her trust while now being adept at holding her so firmly, under my left elbow, I surprise myself! If she starts thinking I am just the same as the vet, (it is only this year I finally started to hold very tight) then she will always head away from me when I go to stroke or to feed her.

Bit I have to draw the line at pushing pills down her throat because it is only me and this definitely requires a strong person holding and the other one administering! Plus a towel, not that it would remain wrapping cat's limbs! She is already a bit suspicious as to my intentions and what my hand might be holding!
vannin

Postby Penny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Never mind having to draw a line, you are doing very well indeed. Keep up the good work and look after yourself too. cheers Penny
Penny

Next

Return to Anything Goes