Sick of rubbishy mail.

Except Personal Attacks

Sick of rubbishy mail.

Postby mo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I am constantly getting rubbish mail every day. Loads of them advertising places and posting catalogues etc.
I think there is a website where you can get your name taken off mailing lists. I wonder if any of you know of this. If so I would be so grateful for the information.
mo

Re: Sick of rubbishy mail.

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Mo, if these are reputable companies that you've had dealings with in the past, then there's usually a link somewhere at the bottom of the email to Unsubscribe. Most genuine, decent organisations will comply with an unsubscribe request.

If it's just spam from companies you've never heard of, then just use the Block Sender or Blacklist function in your email client. Many email clients automatically blacklist any sender whose mail you send to the Spam folder without you doing another thing.

The website for the email preference service is:
http://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/optoutemps.php

That apart, make sure when you fill in forms on line or on paper that the box for no junk mail is ticked or unticked as appropriate. Also, if you have friends who send emails to more than one recipient with all the email addresses on view, TELL THEM TO STOP IT!!! it only needs one of those recipients to get hacked and everybody's address is accessible for spammers. The bcc function prevents this from happening.
HTH
Andere Richtingen

Postby maggieh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank you for that link,Andere.I have just used it,I get a awful lot of junk mail. :doh:
maggieh

Postby mo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks from me to Andere.
mo

Postby laurie53 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Have a word with your postie.

He is paid to deliver it and loses money if you opt out, but if you ask him nicely he will put it straight in the paper bin!
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry, Mo; did I misunderstand? I assumed you were talking about junk email but now I see that you only said "mail".

If Royal Mail have been paid to deliver to each address, then they are contractually obliged to do so. You can register your name and address with the mailing preference service - see http://www.mpsonline.org.uk - and this will, eventually, stop most of the addressed stuff. It takes several months to have any effect and won't stop the unaddressed mail.
For circulars not delivered by the postman, we've found a nice, large laminated notice over the letterbox flap which reads
"No cold callers.
No junk mail.
No exceptions."
does have some effect and we occasionally see a distributor of junk turning away without leaving whatever it is. (If I see someone ignoring the notice, I'm quite likely to hurl the door open and demand, "Can't you read??!! Take your rubbish away with you and close the gate!")
Andere Richtingen

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:46 am

I get a lot of junk mail too but I just throw it straight in the recycle bin..
caroljoyce

Postby mo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Andere Richtingen wrote:Sorry, Mo; did I misunderstand? I assumed you were talking about junk email but now I see that you only said "mail".

If Royal Mail have been paid to deliver to each address, then they are contractually obliged to do so. You can register your name and address with the mailing preference service - see http://www.mpsonline.org.uk - and this will, eventually, stop most of the addressed stuff. It takes several months to have any effect and won't stop the unaddressed mail.
For circulars not delivered by the postman, we've found a nice, large laminated notice over the letterbox flap which reads
"No cold callers.
No junk mail.
No exceptions."
does have some effect and we occasionally see a distributor of junk turning away without leaving whatever it is. (If I see someone ignoring the notice, I'm quite likely to hurl the door open and demand, "Can't you read??!! Take your rubbish away with you and close the gate!")

I also have one on my door but they just ignore it. Anyway will look in to that website Andere thank you.

Carol that is what I do. Straight in the recycle bin. :tantrum2:
mo

Return to Anything Goes