Policemen on Traffic Duty

Except Personal Attacks

Policemen on Traffic Duty

Postby lavonne » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Does anyone remember seeing Policemen on traffic duty ?I remember seeing them as a child,but cant remember where,I think it was in Oxford Street /Regents Street in London
lavonne

Re: Policemen on Traffic Duty

Postby Poohdog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Regular in Nottingham in the 70s...usually at Trent Bridge when a footy match was on...We always knew when one was on duty because the traffic was solid for miles....been better off without 'em!

In the early days on many of my 'Nottingham Past' photos a cop can be seen directing horses or early cars when the roads were nearly empty...this one from before the war.

Poohdog

Postby Penny » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Lovely picture. Apart from accidents etc. Cannot recall seeing a PC. On traffic duty.. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 pm

I remember seeing them occasionally in the 1950s and 60s, sometimes in Lincoln if it was particularly busy but more especially in Doncaster. There was one junction in particular which always seemed to have a policeman with white gloves directing traffic. I suppose he must eventually have been replaced by a set of traffic lights!
I've seen police directing traffic in France a couple of years ago when the lights were out of order on a huge and busy junction. There were three of them with white gloves and whistles and I was almost disappointed when it was our turn to go because they were so well choreographed!
Andere Richtingen

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:21 am

Great picture Poohdog.

A very recognisable part of the city to anyone who knows Nottingham.
The Theatre Royal hasn't changed and it's still going strong - I go there quite often.

Thanks for the memory. :)
caroljoyce

Postby mo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

I remember quite clearly when I was a teenager and lived in London.

When we were sixteen my twin sis Dorrie and I went to Richmond to meet two boys we had met there the weekend before.
We had a great time with them and didn't realize the time.
When we got to the train station to get our train it was locked. The last train had gone.
We both panicked not knowing what to do. Then we saw a policeman directing the traffic so we asked him where the nearest police station was.

He directed us and when we got to the station the police were absolutely lovely and took us home back to Kilburn in one of their police cars.
You can imagine my poor mothers face when she opened the door and saw two policemen standing there, we were behind them.
Gosh we got an earful from our dad the next day and was stopped from going to our favourite haunt Richmond for quite a while.
mo

Return to Anything Goes