Sciatica

Except Personal Attacks

Sciatica

Postby lavonne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 pm

I am suffering badly from painful sciatica.Any tips to help with this please
lavonne

Re: Sciatica

Postby Penny » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Try Google. ...Pain relief for sciatica......I just did and lots on there which might help. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:19 am

I hope Mo sees this. I know she has suffered terribly with sciatica.
caroljoyce

Postby laurie53 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 am

I thank the Good Lord hat is one thing I have been spared. My father used to be in agony with it.
laurie53

Postby lavonne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:02 pm

I tried to PM Mo but couldnt send one,perhaps she can get in touch, here of PM
lavonne

Postby maggieh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 pm

It is very painful,I had it a few years ago.In my back and down my leg.Hurt to sit and stand think I just took something to ease the pain.
Hope it eases for you soon Lavonne.
maggieh

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 pm

A heating pad can help relax tense muscles in the back and legs that may be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. Heat stimulates sensory receptors in the skin, which is why so many people find it to be soothing. This can actually help you take your mind off the pain. Probably the biggest benefit, though, is that heat dilates blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the area. This better delivers oxygen and nutrients, which can help the healing process. You can use a heating pad as often as necessary throughout the day. To avoid burns, the heat source should be carefully monitored and never applied directly to the skin.

Wheatbags might help. If I use mine I put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
I have an electic heat wrap that I use when watching TV. It certainly helps the darn pain because I have Spondylitis. The wheat bag neck one I use when moving about doing little jobs around the house.
Maywalk

Postby mo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

I have replied to Lavonnes message to me.

So hope you soon are eased of the pain Lavonne.

Not a lot I can say really as I still have it and have spent a lot of money for private visits to Osteopaths, Physios etc but none of this helped. Did the exercises that were meant to ease the pain but it seemed to aggravate it.

I found the worse part was sitting. Like sitting on a brick. Soo painful. The only relief I get is when I am in bed and lying on the side opposite to the pain.

I have just had to put up with it but buying a walking aid on wheels was a god send. I can walk so much faster and the pain doesn't feel half as bad. Ideal for shopping and can be easily folded to put in the car and has a nice bag attached to put your shopping in.

I take regularly co codimil 2 four times a day which really helps with the pain.

I do think it is easing gradually as I find I am taking longer to have my tablets. Either that or I am getting use to the pain.

Gosh. I wouldn't wish Sciatica on my worse enemy.
mo

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 pm

My daughter finds that the only relief comes from religiously doing the exercises prescribed by the physiotherapist. She is, after months of misery, at last off the painkillers. Her sciatica turns out to be due to a prolapsed spinal disc and she has been offered surgery to relieve this but, as it's complex and not guaranteed to work, she's not committing herself to that yet. (I'd feel the same).
I think, what brings you most relief may well vary according to the cause of the sciatica and, as my daughter discovered, it can take months of examinations, scans and x-rays to establish the cause. Good luck with getting some easement soon, Lavonne.
Andere Richtingen

Return to Anything Goes