Extra Hugs!

Except Personal Attacks

Extra Hugs!

Postby laurie53 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Got a double ration of hugs yesterday. Passed an old mobility scooter that was just gathering dust to a widowed friend who is becoming less mobile.

Naturally she gave me her usual hug, but this time I got one from her daughter in law as well. She seemed s nice girl.

I think a good hug is one of the things I miss mist ( yes, thank you, I know you all send me hugs!).

I used to get lots when I was in a girls' hall of residence at St Andrews Uni, either when they went away or came back, or sometimes just when they were a bit low.

I once had a girl throw herself into my arms sobbing bitterly when I called her a sully goose. It was one of her dad's favorite expressions.

My wife never really got used to many of the young women in St Andrews smiling at me and treating me like an old friend when we were out shopping!

I had to give her lots of hugs, and, as I say, I do miss them.

My girls doing a traditional pier walk

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/54/17 ... 5d8686.jpg
laurie53

Re: Extra Hugs!

Postby Penny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Lucky you, so pleased you managed to pass on the scooter. Delighted you got extra hug. Super picture. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 am

You area kind and thoughtful man laurie ... Lovely picture. :bighugs:
caroljoyce

Postby laurie53 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 am

The fact that their gowns are right up to the hairline indicates they are first years, or Bejantines in St Andrews speak (Males are Bejants, no PC here!).

Second years wear them slightly off the shoulder, third years half way down the upper arm and seniors have them draped at the elbow joint.
laurie53

Postby dita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Lovely post Laurie and lovely photo, thanks. You are so right about hugs, I miss my family's hugs both taking and giving, and OH is not a huggy sort of man-----my little dog Dolly is though.
dita

Postby laurie53 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm

and OH is not a huggy sort of man

My wife and I were fortunate in that respect. Even when lifting her from the car to the wheelchair or the wheelchair to the bed we always took the opportunity for a quick, r sometimes longer, hug.

Before her strokes friends would comment on how tactile we were.
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 pm

My parents were 'huggy' like Laurie and his wife and I grew up thinking all good adult relationships were like that. Unfortunately, I married a man like Dita's, not really very tactile at 1all. I don't doubt that he loves me but I do wish I didn't have to prompt him for a hug. :sad:
This morning, he gave me my card and asked what I wanted for my birthday. I said, well you could start with a hug. I'm still waiting!
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Know exactly what you mean Andere xx Big hugs from Dolly and me xx
dita

Postby laurie53 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 am

I grew up thinking all good adult relationships were like that.

My son did not grow up with the sane idea.

"Get a room" was a regular comment in our house from the time he was old enough to get away with it!

Shows a certain healthy attitude though I think.
laurie53

Postby Maywalk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 pm

My parents were not the huggy type although I still had respct for them but my son and family have made up for it since.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes