Tipping.

Except Personal Attacks

Tipping.

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 am

Normally I would have tipped the coach driver who took us on our weekend in Blackpool.
Unfortunately all I had was a £20 note - not even any pound coins so he didn't get a tip.

It was ok really - he didn't look as though he expected one but I felt so guilty.

Do you tip - and who?
caroljoyce

Re: Tipping.

Postby laurie53 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:10 am

Normally restaurants only, and only it it;s been earned.

Perhaps unusually I do send a tip through to the chef if I've particularly enjoyed a meal - they don't normally get a share of tips.
laurie53

Postby maggieh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Sometimes I might say to the taxi driver keep the change if its only 20pence. :roflmao:
maggieh

Postby dita » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 pm

I tip Paul our Postie at Xmas, especially if he wears his short shorts Yippee!
dita

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Waiting staff in restaurants if it's been earned; taxi drivers if they've been helpful with luggage &co; my hairdresser because nobody wants to fall foul of a person with big scissors! (No, really, the rates charged are very modest and a great haircut makes me feel so good I'd willingly pay double.)
Andere Richtingen

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Tipping is almost an insult here in NZ. I don't think I've ever tipped anybody. Tipping is seen a bit like "Here impoverished peasant have this token" :mrgreen:
If service is exceptional there might be feedback to management. Likewise if it's awful!
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Young Goat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 am

As a just retired London Taxi Driver, I'll give my opinion.

It is a sign or a token of appreciation that you really are satisfied with the service you have just received.

Some people, although they will be polite and say thank you they don't necessarily mean it, it is just the courteous way to end a conversation.
Giving a tip is really saying you are satisfied with what you have received.
Giving only 20 pence though could be regarded as derisory, I would suggest at least 50 pence or even a pound.
I try to give around 5% of the amount charged.
Young Goat

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 am

I'd heard before about the NZ attitude to tipping - in fact, I'm sure someone told me it's actually illegal there but I may be wrong (Ciderman??).
It's also frowned upon in Belgium and several other European countries.

I really wish we could adopt that approach here. Pay people properly for the job they're doing so they don't need to rely on tips and I don't have to feel like Lady Bountiful doling out largesse.

Then there's the matter of how much. Young Goat, as a former cabbie, suggests 5%. I've been snarled at for giving less than 10% which is the figure I generally work to. Someone else suggested that, when cruising, you should set aside 20% of the fare paid for gratuities. That seems excessive to me!
Let's end this nonsense now!
Andere Richtingen

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

It's not illegal Andere but it certainly not common. I can understand how important it can be in countries like the USA, but an adequate basic wage is more important, and also how do you tax tips? If half of somebodies income is from tips they are only being taxed half- I pay the rest.
ciderman_nz

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 pm

There was a lot of fuss about this here a couple of years ago when the Revenue & Customs folk started making assumptions about how much some workers were receiving in tips and it emerged, in many cases, that the employers were taking a rake-off from service charges so the staff weren't getting it all. But the whole tipping thing is just a factor in the black economy. As you say, the rest of us are paying for the sqillions of undeclared tips every year.
Andere Richtingen

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 pm

During my time in England in the 1960's I worked as a night porter at a small hotel for 3 or 4 months. Nights tended to be a bit boring and one night I worked out with a full hotel the amount that the visitors had paid. The hotel worked on no tips but a 10% surcharge. I then asked all the staff what they had received and we found that the manager was clipping off 50%! We all made a fuss to the owner of the hotel and the manager departed!
ciderman_nz

Postby vannin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Well done Ciderman and colleagues of the 60s!

I recently took an Aylesbury taxi back from Stoke Mandeville to my home. Fully expected the fare to be anything up to £30, from everything I had heard. He only charged me £23, so I gave him £25. Later I felt I could have added more. If the service is good, I will tip and usually at 10%.

I give a 'Christmas Box' to my gardener, hairdresser (I only ever have trims) and the bin-cleaning boys. If milk was still delivered, the milkman always deserved something.

Welcome back Young Goat, good to see you! :colorwelcome:
vannin

Return to Anything Goes