SNOW

Except Personal Attacks

Re: SNOW

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks dejavou, still don't see it. All I have is a circle round a minus 4, Must be me, cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby laurie53 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 am

The white stuff is back!

I'm finding it much colder than it was two weeks ago.
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Viciously cold here, too, with a nasty east wind which is due to get stronger later in the day. Only a few random snow showers so far but there's reputedly more in the pipeline. We were supposed to be attending an outdoor 1940s event at Sleaford today but have decided against it - too cold; don't fancy being out on the horribly exposed A17 in the event of a blizzard. It was a charity event and you have to feel enormous sympathies for the organisers who no doubt planned it hoping for sunshine and spring breezes .. :sad:
Andere Richtingen

Postby laurie53 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm

If you're looking for cold, Andere, You're in the right place in Lincolnshire!

not so happy memories of Binblook, Arguably the coldest base in the RAF, and I include all those in Scotland and Mount Pleasant (Ha!) in the Falklands.
laurie53

Postby dita » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi Laurie I know Binbrook, Elsham, Waddingham, Waddington, Swinderby, Hemswell :) and on and on :) + a family member who was in the Falklands during the conflict a few years ago. xxx
dita

Postby laurie53 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Names to conjure with, Dita! Of the fifteen stations on which I served, and at least another dozen I did temporary duty at, only three are still open.
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

laurie53 wrote:If you're looking for cold, Andere, You're in the right place in Lincolnshire.

I grew up in these parts, Laurie, and thought I was inured to this straight-from-the-Urals wind because it was just part of life. However, too many years in the balmy south must have softened me up because this winter has slightly caught me on the hop and I'd forgotten just how chilling it can be!
All in All, though, so long as I'm warmly dressed and it's warm indoors, I much prefer this crisp, fresh wind to the damp and muggy westerlies this country gets so much of the time.
I'd say the Moray Firth runs Lincolnshire a close second in terms of wind chill. After their sojourn in Essex, my parents moved to Portessie, a house right across from the shore, and a raging nor'easter there was quite an experience! My poor Essex Man thought he might never recover! It was a lovely spot in spring and summer but the winters were something else.
Andere Richtingen

Postby laurie53 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 pm

The Moray coast can be quite bracing!

I can remember sitting in a parked one ton truck at Kinloss and suddenly finding the wind gently pirouetting me down the taxiway still with all four wheels firmly locked on the ice!
laurie53

Previous

Return to Anything Goes