SNOW

Except Personal Attacks

SNOW

Postby lavonne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Is anyone snowed in ? We have had a few snow showers but they have not been heavy ,we only have a slight covering on the ground
lavonne

Re: SNOW

Postby Poohdog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Get some skis for Friday....
Poohdog

Postby twin1947 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Yes we have lots of snow had another lot tonight :roflmao: my grandchildren are loving it.
twin1947

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 pm

Yes it's quite heavy here. I won't be going far unless I have to.
caroljoyce

Postby widget » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:57 am

Yes Yes, at last after years and years, Norfolk has got real white deep snow and it's still coming down,
looks like I have a day indoors, :-(
widget

Postby Maywalk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am

Not a lot of snow here but with all the technology today and warnings you would have thought grit lorries would have been out, especially when watching the news this morning and all the ruddy traffic pile ups
I very often wonder how they would have managed way back in the 1947 winter with snow falling up to around 10 ft in places and having electric cut off for 8 hours a day plus queueing for a bag of coke for an hour or so to keep just one room in the house warm. No central heating then.
Hubby was in the RAF and they could not get the planes off the ground. He was sent home on indefinate leave. It took him two days to get home through snowdrifts and cadging lifts mainly on horse and carts.We were still on rations which included bread and potatoes and even potatoes were getting in short supply.
Maywalk

Postby widget » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 am

Blocked roads by car drivers has made it harder for gritters to get through, and years ago there was not the cars on the road as there is now, and a lot more folk use to walk.
widget

Postby laurie53 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

lavonne wrote:Is anyone snowed in ? We have had a few snow showers but they have not been heavy ,we only have a slight covering on the ground

Not quite snowed in but I really had to consider changing out of my slippers to put the bin out.
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 am

Nowhere close to snowed in but there's a lot of the white stuff out there! Only a thin, crispy covering at midnight but we woke this morning to about 5 or 6 cm and it's still coming down.
I yomped the bin down the drive last night - not in my slippers, Laurie - but just heard someone from the council on the radio saying they don't expect to be collecting today. Hardly a surprise, really.
Most of the local bus and train services have stopped; the Lincoln bypass was at a standstill for hours due to stuck lorries. Glad I don't have to be anywhere. I remember the winter of early 1963 when the snow and ice went on for four months. We lived in a very rural village and I travelled by bus to school about 6 miles away. The school never closed due to weather and the buses always got us there and back even if we were sometimes late. My dad did shift work, travelling on a motorcycle with sidecar and never missed a shift - although he sometimes described the trip as "a bit alarming". I think the main difference now is the proliferation of power assisted steering which makes it more difficult to "feel" the road beneath your wheels, making a kind of disconnect between driver and road and so it's easier to lose control in these conditions.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm

widget wrote:Blocked roads by car drivers has made it harder for gritters to get through, and years ago there was not the cars on the road as there is now, and a lot more folk use to walk.

Yes and folks were far fitter and slimmer then Widget.
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Quite a fall of snow here this morning but beginning to ease off now. Enjoy today folks. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:28 pm

What you said about the winter in 1947 rang a bell with me Maisie because that was exactly like it was like with my family, I had to walk a mile and a half to school walking on top of frozen hedges or through narrow paths cut out of the snow drifts by some kind person clearing a way with his shovel. Our school never closed in fact we all just got on with our lives the best way we could till the weather changed. Its slightly disturbing today the village may get cut off-----but we'll be ok :) :grouphug:
dita

Postby Maywalk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Dita
I just hope you are NOT cut off in this day and age Dita. With all the things thay have done over the last 40 years especially with all the advanced technology we have now no one should be cut off anywhere. IF they are we can say Mother Nature has a mind of her own.
I have been looking through my old files and found this. The old horse and cart was very reliable. Unfortunately there wasn't muchto deliver with all the shortages.
Attachments
February 1947 front page top half for forums.jpg
February 1947 front page top half for forums.jpg (93.87 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Maywalk

Postby Maywalk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Then in the March it was horrendous with all the floods countrywide.
Attachments
March 1947 top half. Facebook.jpg
March 1947 top half. Facebook.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Maywalk

Postby dita » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Maisie the pic of the couple of horses either Dragging or Harrowing are very familiar to me, because at that time of my life we lived next door to a farm and I spent most of my out of school time learning how to work with Boxer and Kit who taught me so much about not just farming but about life in general. The winter snow of 1947 started around my birthday----wow! what a pressie. Thanks for putting those reminders on, those days may have been hard but my God they were so special xxxx
dita

Next

Return to Anything Goes