The art of conversation.

Except Personal Attacks

The art of conversation.

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am

Since the ruddy mobile contraptions have come into creation they seemed to have taken away a lot of everyday chats with not only family but to others as well.
I lost my rag last Saturday when my d-i-l and son came over to wait for my grocery delivery and to pack it away in the garage in the freezer. They are exceptionally good in calling in to see if I am OK or if I need anything bringing out of the freezer and I cant fault them BUT when they come my son brings his computer and my d-i-l sits reading a book on her mobile.
I dont touch mine if anyone calls and just hope that some sort of conversation can start.
It finally got my goat last Saturday and I am NOT proud of the fact that I let rip ito them and said it would be nice to have a general conversation with my family instead of grunts and vague answers to anything because they are SO absorbed in what their screens are showing.
It did take effect and we did manage to communicate personally instead of over the phone, net or Facetime but was I being selfish.??????????
I rarely go out now but if I do I can still hold a conversation and have a laugh with folks.
Yes technology is wonderful and I am more than glad that I have learnt about it over time but with ruddy phones going off every few minutes they can become a great intrusion at times although they can be lifesavers. I DO have mine on my trolley that I manage to get about with in the house but only for emergencies.
Even children never seem to want to go out to play nowadays and every one I see from my wndow who is old enough has one in their hands probably playing some sort of game either on their way or coming from school.
OK so I am a miserable old biddy but am I on my own??????????
WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON THIS SUBJECT?
Maywalk

Re: The art of conversation.

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm

My view is much like your own, Maisie. If I'm out with friends or relations, we don't play with our phones. OK, any of us might answer an important call but anything else goes to voicemail. It's not yet happened to me but, if a friend sat across the pub table from me gawping at his/her phone, I'd just say, "Sorry. I'm obviously boring you," and get up and leave.
Mobiles are banned at the table in my house and I can't imagine being so ill-mannered as to play with my phone while visiting someone. As for walking down the road twiddling with the phone - how do you do that without knocking yourself out on trees and lamp standards or colliding with other people? Yes, I play games on my phone or read my Kindle on the bus or train, or while sitting in the dentist's waiting room but absolutely NOT during social occasions.
I have in the past taken my daughter to task in much the same way you did your son & DiL. She took it on board but, although she's very well mannered in other respects, the generation that's under, say, 50 don't seem to regard this screen obsession as bad manners at all.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Thank God its not only me Andere.
I was beginning to think I am becoming a crotchety old sod but its helped to know that you too feel the same way. :exactly:
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Fully agree with both. The number of times I have pointed out to OH the folk walking along using a mobile. What did they do before phones became mobile. How did they communicate with friends. I ask you, not everything modern is good. To be honest, I think the last time I used it was a good year ago when I was stuck in a carpark. grrrrr cheers Penny.
Penny

Return to Anything Goes