Shopping

Except Personal Attacks

Shopping

Postby lavonne » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Where do you shop ? I like Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S,mY friend swears by Aldis, how cheap they are & trues to get me there,but I hate the store, the aisles are narrow usually full of Asians who go up /down in different indifferent directions
lavonne

Re: Shopping

Postby laurie53 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 pm

The Co-op is the only one within fifty mi,es, so the only one I cab reach on my power chair!
laurie53

Postby twin1947 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi i shop mainly in Tescos and when i visit my daughter in Croydon i get to shop in Morrisons which i really like as its quite cheap and love there meat so i tend to stock up.I went to see her last weekend so that was good. :lol:
twin1947

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 pm

twin1947 wrote:Hi i shop mainly in Tescos and when i visit my daughter in Croydon i get to shop in Morrisons which i really like as its quite cheap and love there meat so i tend to stock up.I went to see her last weekend so that was good. :lol:

I like Morrison's meat too. Have you tried their loin of pork - it's lovely.
I do most of my shopping at Tesco's but go to all the others too if I'm nearby.
caroljoyce

Postby laurie53 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Most supermarkets buy their meat in, Simon Howie is a big supplier, but Morrisons source most of their own.

A beast enters Morrisons premises alive and doesn't leave them until you carry it home.
laurie53

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 pm

My father installed a number of sausage making and packaging machines in a factory in Dublin many years ago and above the livestock entrance to the factory was a sign : Abandon hope all ye that enter here.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18 pm

I have mine delivered each week from Morrisons because I cant get out now.
I have had to complain though about the bread only having one day to go before its out of date and the same with prepacked ham or beef and one gripe that I have is they never have on their list the 2 Mccain jacket potatoes. They have the 4 packets but NEVER the 2s.
If I do get taken there I like their fresh salad.
Maywalk

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Lacemaker wrote:... above the livestock entrance to the factory was a sign : Abandon hope all ye that enter here.

:lol:

Most of my online grocery orders come from Tesco as I have their delivery pass but I do occasionally order from Waitrose and Sainsburys because I like some of their own brand stuff. Actual physical trips to the shops usually means the local Lidl or the Spar grocery/butchers around the corner and, in summer, farm shops for fruit and veg.

Like Lavonne, I've never been a fan of Aldi (except for their wines) and I used to dislike Lidl where I lived before because it was always overcrowded with both stock and customers so it was difficult to squeeze your way around and the checkout queues were horrendous. However, a new one was built about a mile from here last year and it's terrific - big and spacious, well lit and clean with beautifully presented fresh veg and chilled stuff. It's much more reminiscent of a French or German supermarket than their English branches usually are. OH suggests they're catering to a better class of customer here. I can't think what he means!
Andere Richtingen

Postby ciderman_nz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm

I did this for my U3A group. The topic was 'Shopping'. It's a bit long but.........

Pre-Supermarket.
Before supermarkets! Wow! That seems such a long time ago that I have to think very hard. I’ll work retrospectively from the last I can think of. My arrival in Central Hawkes Bay from Auckland after my European years involved a farm near Patangata and the first trip to town in Waipawa to get groceries to set up the kitchen of the nice little house that the farm had just built and that we were to live in. We asked the manager where we should go for supplies and he told us that virtually the only option was Williams & Kettle so we set off to town with this unknown source in our mind. As we entered Williams & Kettle a smiley faced young man came up to us and asked what he could do for us. We held up our list of required goodies , with another smile he took it from us and began collecting the items. He packed them into several cardboard boxes as he went out the back, climbed ladders and opened and shut cupboards. Finally about 6 boxes were assembled and he said ,”Where’s your car?” I grabbed a couple of boxes and followed him out of the front door to our car outside. As we loaded them into the boot he asked where we were living and I told him Paihia Farm. His response was “Oh you working for Frank?” As we went back inside to get the remaining boxes I asked if it would be okay to pay by cheque. He looked blankly at me and said,
“You want to pay?”
“Of course, “ I said “But we haven’t got much cash”.
“But don’t you want to charge it?” he looked puzzled. We paid for it as we left, but we felt eyes on us as our helper regaled his colleagues about the people who didn’t want to charge it.
Even when, further into the past, I was working in London, and sharing a flat with a mate, we bought our bread from a bakery, our vegetables from a greengrocer, other food from a grocer, and meat from a butcher, even though I did once ask, in my innocence, for bacon in Golders Green from a Kosher butcher, and got some strange looks. Anything not edible was from an ironmonger , such as knife , fork and spoons but cooking utensils were very basic and sometimes our pocket knives came into play in conjunction with our only utensil which was a frypan .
Stepping back another 5 or 6 years it was outback Australia living out of an old Landrover and eating whatever was currently available. Depending on the time of year we ate sweet corn, pineapples, mutton and even kangaroo. When we got to Tasmania we ate apples, potatoes and due to our extreme lack of cash for a week we ate “gookies”. Gookies were oatmeal, milo and sugar mixed to a thick paste with water and cooked in an old soap strainer we had found, through the door in a small pot belly stove at Liaweeni youth hostel campsite to produce a kind of cake. The landscape was all tussock and we asked the drunken warden what we should use for firewood and he pointed at the cabin next door, so we systematically chopped it up with the axe supplied and fed it into the little stove. That same YHA hostel warden was the guy who checked on the lake levels for the hydro-electric company that ran the dam as his ‘day job’ and drank himself into a stupor the rest of the time. He very kindly offered us a slice off a cooked wild pig which resided in his table and although we were not picky eaters we declined and left it to the flies which were crawling all over it. His company house was full of empty beer bottles as was his company Landrover. Fortunately we had ample stocks of tea, a billy and a couple of mugs, so it was ‘black billy tea, boys, black billy tea.
Of course, when I was at school I took no interest whatsoever in groceries and my mother was a very good cook so food just used to turn up regularly on my plate. While waiting for a place at a boarding school which I was to attend , I was entertained at a Secondary Modern school in Essex which served the children lunch, where I learned to eat faster after missing out on dessert for a few days. The boarding school, in Colchester, was a very different story, food was brought to us at the table and ‘seconds’ were very likely if needed in this very posh establishment owned by the headmaster, a nephew of author H.G .Wells and a one time chess player for England.
Beyond schooldays I only have my mother and father’s recollections of war time rationing, (I was Britain’s answer to Hitler- I was born a couple of months after the war began) I was an adventurous child, I had been known to reach out of my pram and eat loose, rationed , cigarettes from the shop counter and bite pieces out of loaves of bread. Our local shopkeeper soon learned to not leave items within reach of the voracious child in the high wheeled pram!
With the advent of the supermarket, the whole shopping experience changed and became more impersonal, the customer did most of the work running about selecting for themselves before presenting at the checkout and staggering out with numerous plastic bags of almost everything that the household needed. I fully expect to be able to buy a car at the supermarket soon or maybe an aircraft.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am

Loved it Michael and its surprising what one can live on even though its not edible. :lol:
Personally I would give anything to go grocery shopping in an old fashioned shop where everything wasn't prepacked. Todays food puts me off and nothing tastes the same. I used to love a banana that we could not get during the war but over the years something has been fed to the plants that has taken that lovely taste away.
OK so I am getting old but there were not half so many obese folk in my young days like there is now and I blame it all on the ruddy additives to our food now.

I have to have my groceries delivered now but I hate having to do it this way and very often return stuff that only has one day to go before the sell by date is reached. :evil:
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes