Am I Expecting Too Much?

Except Personal Attacks

Am I Expecting Too Much?

Postby laurie53 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Back end of last year I gave my older mobility scooter to a disabled friend. Hdn't bee used for a while and needed a new battery.

Her family, two boys and a girl, all grown up and left home, were going to get it fixed as a Christmas present.I think L might have posted about it.

They have just brought it back (4 months!) saying that the battery would cost £300 which was too much (it is a special gel type which can be carried in aircraft passenger cabins).

Now we're talking here of a Class 3 (Road going) Mobility Scooter, lights and indicators, 8 mpn, max range 18 miles, registered with the DVLA (even has a Q reg no., but no need to display it), full EU type approval costing between £3000 and£4000 .

Am I being over optimistic in thinking that £300 is not much to invest in some independence?

I'm now stuck with getting the council to take it to the skip, as none of the local charities are interested either.

The affluent society.
laurie53

Re: Am I Expecting Too Much?

Postby Young Goat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I suggest you advertise it on eBay saying buyer collects and give details of what it needs.

I also did a quick check for reconditioned mobility scooters in Scotland and it came up with a few. They might buy yours to recondition it and sell it on.
Young Goat

Postby laurie53 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:06 pm

While I don't need the money, if I was able to sell it I wouldn't be trying to give it away!
laurie53

Postby twin1947 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Took them long enough to decide they didnt want it then,wonder if they checked ebay for the batterys and amazon.
twin1947

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Before you go down the council disposal route, have you tried the give-away sites such as [url]ilovefreegle.org[/url] or [url]freecycle.org[/url] and [url]preloved.co.uk[/url]?

They're free to join and you'd be astounded what people want! We disposed of loads of things which otherwise would have gone to the tip through these sites when we down sized. All you have to do is put up a brief description, plus a photo if possible, make it clear it'll have to be collected and wait for the responses.
Andere Richtingen

Postby lavonne » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Oh for goodness sake what do they want for nothing,£ 3oo is cheap for what they were getting.I hope you find someone to take /use it.Have you got a Free cycle or similar site you can offer things to ? Otherwise can you put an advert in your window or local shops,stating it is free but needs a new battery ? Man yyears ago we were looking for a mobility scooter for my husband and would have jumped at yours,sadly we no longer need one now
lavonne

Postby laurie53 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 pm

I am a member of both Freegle and Freecycle groups locally, and my local "Next Door".

Among first places I tried. Along with the charity shops only interested if delivered and in fwo!
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm astounded! You obviously reside in an area full of "people who have everything". As someone whose early married life was spent in a home full of second hand furniture because we couldn't afford new stuff, I'm unable to understand this sniffy approach to pre owned goods and such a mean spirited refusal to get a basically sound item fixed. I presume that your unfortunate friend is unable to get out and about easily as a result of this meanness? Her offspring should be really proud of themselves - not.
Andere Richtingen

Return to Anything Goes