My unexpected beautiful visitor

Except Personal Attacks

My unexpected beautiful visitor

Postby vannin » Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 pm

When I raised the blind on the landing window, a beautiful peacock was looking in at me from the garage roof. In the past hour it has been in the front garden and now back on the garage because the owners have tracked him down! I was on the phone fruitlessly while RSPCA numbers just give long recorded messages (donations?!!) It belongs on a farm about a mile away. Neighbour is off work and has videoed a lot. Wish I had the means of sending pic. On instruction, I put bread down to aid capture.
When I took my eye off the action for five minutes the peacock's keeper captured and took it home. Two feathers were left on my drive which I could offer my daughter who has a very tall ornamental vase. I shall miss him and all that excitement which happened before 10.15 a.m..

Maybe I was quite relieved NOT to see such a large, proud, noble and gorgeous creature bundled up in whatever they used (is 'ignominiously' the word?) We had exchanged a lot of eye contact and been quite close for a couple of hours!!
vannin

Re: My unexpected beautiful visitor

Postby Penny » Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm

How wonderful vannin, a memory you won't forget for some time. They are indeed beautiful birds. Well done you. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby maggieh » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

What a lovely thing to start your day with Vannin.I have seen a lot of Peacocks walking around at a bird park down.here.They look lovely when they spread their wings.
maggieh

Postby vannin » Tue May 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Soon after waking up, I heard the distinctive call they make, very loudly. It sounded like he was in the house but at that time he was at the front before flying up to where I first saw him looking in. Although I recognised the sound I had not started believing it really was a live peacock but more likely someone's recording close by! When not fully awake, we sometimes believe a dream is still in progress!

Googled: Good luck, harmony, serenity, peace of mind, relaxation and protection are all associated with the magnificent peacock. :sunglasses:
vannin

Postby Monika » Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 pm

How lovely for you, vannin.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby laurie53 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 am

I'm told they make good eating!
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

How did Trixie react? I should imagine that a peacock in full cry, with tail fanned out, would be a bit daunting to the average cat!
An unusual start to the day. :lol:
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 am

They sometimes escape from the nearby hall where they live and occasionally have nearly scared us to death saying hello on the top of our garden shed. We also have a family of deer around, more escapees.
dita

Postby vannin » Wed May 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Andere Richtingen wrote:How did Trixie react? I should imagine that a peacock in full cry, with tail fanned out, would be a bit daunting to the average cat!
An unusual start to the day. :lol:

Trixie heard the very close call-out and went to look out of the window. She was fascinated to see our exotic new friend walking right by the house. Sadly the fanning-out of tail never happened all the time we were watching. She went back to bed to continue a broken sleep!

I hope LK's mouth is OK and not being a problem in feeding.
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Trixie sounds like a very sensible cat! LK would have wanted to try out her hunting skills, I'm sure. She's getting on in years, has a very jangly bell on her collar and the local pigeons are bigger than she is but she's forever leaping on to the garage roof or next door's shed, determined to get one, one day. There are pigeon feathers all over the yard but the pigeons are definitely laughing at her.
And yes, thanks, Madame is eating enough for two cats at the moment. So long as it's soft food, she's fine.
Andere Richtingen

Return to Anything Goes