Am I Famous?

Except Personal Attacks

Am I Famous?

Postby laurie53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:34 am

BBC have just had a phone in on parking on pavements.

As power wheelchair user I was able to express some pretty firm views!
laurie53

Re: Am I Famous?

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 am

Mobility scooters are exempt but it is still illegal to park cars on pavements - and if patrolling policemen were around they would be enforcing the law.

However, only last week, my husband (retired Police Inspector) remarked on a car parked across a pavement which prevented anyone from walking past it.

And ... guess what? Twas a police car! :roll: :roll: :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby laurie53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

it is still illegal to park cars on pavements

Believe it or not, it isn't. It is only illegal to drive on the pavement! The police/enforcement officers have actually catch you in the act.

That's why there's a bill going through the Scottish Parliament at the moment to make it an offence.

Once passed the local traffic wardens will be on speed dial!

I don't just have to reverse every time I go out, but two or three times every time I go out (only to find, all too often, that a car is parked across the pavement drop and I have to go 200 yards or more!).
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Parking on or partially on the pavement is not permitted in Greater London unless there is a notice specifically stating that it's allowed. Having lived there for 40+ years, I found it very depressing how little this was enforced and yet, for the cost of a couple of hours overtime for the parking wardens, the local council could have made a mint in parking fines any evening along the residential roads!

The situation in the rest of England & Wales is much less clear - see
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/943462/pavement-parking-UK-law-fine-cars.

As ever, the Scots are doing their own thing but any new law is only as effective as the will to enforce it.
Andere Richtingen

Postby laurie53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes, many councils have bye-laws prohibiting pavement parking, but there is no national prohibition in any part of the UK.

Once passed in Scotland it will be policed by people like myself and young mums forced to take their babies out into fast traffic.
laurie53

Return to Anything Goes