Tony's Holiday.

Except Personal Attacks

Tony's Holiday.

Postby marieann » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 am

He's had a great time at Kielder for the last week. We brought him home today and he's shattered. He's 77 with advanced Parkinson's, mostly in a wheelchair because his leg muscles are most affected.
He's been out on the reservoir twice, on a motor boat and a sail boat. Twice up the indoor wall and twice on the zip-wire, in harness, clay pigeon shooting, archery, which he loved, visited the birds of prey centre.
They went to Otterburn Mill, a shopping outlet not a working mill, he just bought a cup of coffee not really interested and went into Kielder forest on a large golf buggy. The food was plain but good and plentiful he says and the carers were really good.

I thought he would opt for the half day activity holiday but he wanted the full day one and it's been well worth the money you have to pay for 24 hour care. He's hoping to go back next year. The others
there last week had MS some worse than others but they all got on well. Apparently the Calvert Trust have three centres around the country but the Northumberland one is the only one doing this. He
knew any time he wanted to come home he just had to phone and we would go for him but I knew that wasn't likely. It's great to know he has something to look forward to.
marieann

Re: Tony's Holiday.

Postby vannin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:56 am

What a great time he had! Hectic from start to finish, I am so glad he enjoyed it.
vannin

Postby Penny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 am

Sounds As though he had a wonderful time. Marvellous. So pleased for you both. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby maggieh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 pm

No wonder Tony is shattered after his lovely holiday,I feel worn out reading about it :roll:

Bet you are pleased to have him back home now.Marieann.Your rest is now over. :mrgreen:
maggieh

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Sounds great. Has he already booked up for next year?
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Marieann what a wonderful break for Tony, the Calvert Trust sounds great, pleasing for you to know that it is a worthwhile place where you can trust and know he will be looked after.
dita

Postby marieann » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm

I've washed all day and there's still some left for tomorrow. :lol:

He's definitely going back next year. Three of the guests we met the day we took him for the holiday were from Hull they had been three or four times, not related but must have had some contact to all come together.
I keep getting a bit more information every so often and when they were on the climbing wall they were in harnesses but still climbing themselves Tony says when they got to the top they could ring a bell and the lady
next to him had had a stroke with one arm left paralyzed and she still managed to get to the top and ring the bell I think he was as pleased for her as she was.

We all treat him as though he might break if I'd known all this I wouldn't have slept. :roflmao: I knew he was keen to try the archery and clay pigeon shooting and go on the water and I kept joking about the zip-wire but he wanted to go
bird watching and take photos as much as anything, which he didn't get to do. So he's going to ask for that next time.
marieann

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 pm

It's really nice to read something so positive like that, It's a pity that you have to wait for another year to pass.
I'm very pleased for you both.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 am

I'm glad Tony had a good time.

What did you do with yourself all week marieann? x
caroljoyce

Postby marieann » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 pm

I know exactly what you mean Monica and I feel guilty because I looked at this two years ago before we went to Blackpool for the first time and thought he would never manage it. Much better than Blackpool.

I had replacement units put in four windows on the Tuesday, Carol. On the Wednesday and Friday one brother was here taking old fence posts out and cementing new ones in. On Saturday five of them came and screwed the new uprights on the fence finished it off and painted it. It does look good. Sunday I tried to do some of the work I hadn't been able to do earlier in the week and Monday we went to bring Tony home, a three and a half hour round trip, through beautiful countryside, and since then I've washed and washed. But I'm pleased with what I did get done and delighted for Tony.

You went to Durham yesterday I saw. I'm so glad you enjoyed it we had a day there the second year Janet and Margaret came they were busy inside the Cathedral building a copy of it in Lego bricks but I think that's now finished and don't know if it's still there. The weather was good so that will have helped.
marieann

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:08 am

Hi Marie - it sounds like it was a busy week for you. You must be very pleased with all you've managed to get done.

What I'm wondering is : When does Marie get a holiday?

Yes I went to Durham on Weds - I didn't know you knew - you must still look in on face -book but you never post anything!!

I did say to Chris - the friend who I went with "I had a forum friend from this area"
It's a long time ago now since we were forum buddies Marie - I miss the old days sometimes - not the age-net bullies though!!

I'm really glad Tony had a good holiday.. Both of you will feel better for it.x
caroljoyce

Return to Anything Goes