How are you handling the heat?

Except Personal Attacks

Re: How are you handling the heat?

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Like YG, I was coping up until Tuesday night. I don't like it but just resolved to exert myself as little as possible within the parameters of keeping ourselves, our clothes, ,the food prep areas and the loos decently clean. Anything else can wait until this is over. Then Tuesday night, I couldn't sleep at all. I lay on top of the bed with my frozen hot water bottle, perspiration rolling off me all night. I finally dozed about 6am and the alarm went off at 7! I was supposed to be having a much anticipated lunch and day out on Wednesday but, because I was like a zombie and thought I'd probably drop asleep in my spaghetti, I cancelled. :sad: Spent the day drooping around the house and still couldn't sleep last night. Today, I've done a supermarket run and a few errands plus a load of laundry but I flat-out refuse to iron it in this heat! They said there was a 50% chance of rain this evening but no sign of it yet. If it happens, I'm going out to dance in my pyjamas :dance:
Andere Richtingen

Postby caroljoyce » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:46 am

Aw what a shame you had to cancel your day out Andere. I find it unbearable too - even with a fan going all night.
At bedtime I'm like a lost soul wondering where to lay my head - three times I've camped in the lounge downstairs because it's a few degrees cooler.
I'm depressed - I hate it!!!

We had a ten minute rain shower last night. Oh how I wish it would pour it down!!
caroljoyce

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:54 am

My husband tells me that we had a drop of rain earlier; drop being the operative word - I think I must have blinked.

I have to say that I haven't yet had a bad night with this hellish weather - I am managing to get a good night's sleep (with the aid of my air humidifier/cool air appliance).
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby laurie53 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:05 pm

Again, against all predictions, not doing too badly.

A 15 mpn easterly off the North Sea (only 200 yards away so not being warmed) is keeping it just tolerable.
laurie53

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:05 pm

caroljoyce wrote:t
I'm depressed - I hate it!!!

We had a ten minute rain shower last night. Oh how I wish it would pour it down!!

Me, too - to both statements.
I managed about 4 hours sleep last night before the thunderstorm woke me just after 5am. There was a steady rain for an hour or so and everything seemed quite fresh and clean this morning but it didn't last. By 10am, it was steamy and muggy again and it's getting worse as the day goes on but the weather app on my phone is now predicting no further rain here until breakfast time tomorrow and that's only a 50% likelihood.

I can't sleep with a fan going; the sound annoys me and the feel of the air currents moving across my body is disturbing. I've no stairs to go down but I am wondering about stretching out a mat and lying on one of the tiled floors. OH says if I get stuck down there, I'm on my own. Huh! He just has a big fan running all night and has that male ability to sleep through just about any racket from loud music to the Last Trump.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Yes I am the same and my Asthma attacks are getting more frequent.
We have not even had a sprinkling of rain here since this blasted heatwave started and although I am looking forward to a downpour, whenever it decides to come, I am also rather concerned that the ground is SO baked hard it could cause some flooding until water has finally seeped in.
My son has been putting food and water out every day for the birds that I have nesting in the bush and looking out of the window just now I see that the bird table is nearly empty again.

I got undressed at 4pm and put a cotton nightdress on. I am not expecting anyone and it has helped to cool me down a bit with loosening myself off.
Maywalk

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Whoo -hoo! For the past hour, there's been thunder, lightning and rain! It has virtually stopped now but outside feels gloriously fresh, cool and breezy. Hoping it stays like that overnight so I might just get some proper sleep. Overall, an hour's rain isn't going to fill the reservoirs but as the ad-men say, Every Little Helps.

Maisie, I know exactly what you mean about putting on your nightdress. My cotton lawn pyjamas are the most comfortable things I own at present and I'm spending an excessive amount of time wearing them. They cover me from elbow to ankle so very little of my skin is exposed - when it's this humid, I loathe the sensation of my skin touching anything! I hope some of our current rain fell on you on its way here, anyway. :)
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:31 pm

No rain so far Andere.
It has been overcast and extremely humid all day, now the ruddy sun has come out. :dunno:
I would far rather have had some of that rain that passed your way. :tantrum2:
Maywalk

Postby lavonne » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm

I dont go up to bed ,I prefer to sleep in my [ completely] recliner chair.I never sleep long,so I can get up ,go to the kitchen,make a drink,sit back watch Tele[ in between dozing again].Its been so hot but tonight weve had some rain so hope it will be cooler
lavonne

Postby marieann » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm

We had thunder, lightening and heavy rain for about an hour tonight and according to the weather forecast the East coast will have the same all day tomorrow. It doesn't seem to have made much difference but it is better than nothing. Today is the first day my clothes have actually stuck to my skin they and still are.
marieann

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:01 am

marieann wrote: Today is the first day my clothes have actually stuck to my skin they and still are.

I've been like that every day for weeks! It's horrible. I have 2 showers a day.

We had a clap of thunder this afternoon & rain for about 10 minutes - it wasn't much.

It's till as muggy as ever - I'm deciding whether to go to bed or sleep downstairs where it's cooler....
caroljoyce

Postby lavonne » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:34 pm

We had some rain last night but it hardly touched the ground,but it has been a bit cooler & very windy today,with some more rain this evening
lavonne

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Thank goodness it has cooled down. Felt better today breathing and if I had had the strength I would have done the rain dance because it finally came at 5pm this morning and been in spasms all day.
Nothing heavy, just enough to start whatever is left in the garden that has not shrivelled up to stand up and be noticed. Just hoping against hope that it stays this way.
Maywalk

Postby laurie53 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 am

Well, that didn't last long.

0630 and sweltering with all windows open an d fans going.
laurie53

Postby Maywalk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 am

I got cold around 3-30pm and made myself a cup of tea.
I dont want it too hot though because I am going out for lunch.
It will be a lovely change from frozen dinners because I cant stand too long now messing around cooking.
Maywalk

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes