How are you handling the heat?

Except Personal Attacks

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:00 am

I was awake at 6.00 am this morning - all hot & sweaty - couldn't get comfortable so decided to get up.
I've been like it for a few days now but I feel so tired at night that I can't stay awake to watch TV.

I'm praying for the temperature to fall a few degrees.

caroljoyce

Re: How are you handling the heat?

Postby laurie53 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 am

Badly.

Cardiovascular and breathing problems make each day a trial.
laurie53

Postby maggieh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:38 am

I sleep with a big window open but still woke up during the night sweating.As for walking out in it and carrying shopping is not funny when you get out of breath.But I do like seeing the lovely weather better than rain.
maggieh

Re: How are you hNotandling the heat?

Postby Penny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Not affected by weather, just grateful I am here to enjoy it. So sorry for anyone not suited to heat. Must be unbearable. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby twin1947 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Have no problems with the weather,in fact have been out in the garden with a cup of tea and varnishing my stones.
I know its hard for people with health problems but its better than rain.
We sleep with a window open and some nights have a fan going as OH gets rather warm.
twin1947

Postby Maywalk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Playing havoc with my lungs. My chest sounds like an old traction engine when breathing.
I have inhalers but they dont seem to do much during this sort of this weather.
Maywalk

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm not tired .... I'm exhausted. I have COPD so not coping at all well.

Every day, I long for rain, not only for me, but for my poor plants, which have cost me a small fortune, I have 17 large tubs most of which are planted up with summer bedding and fuschias, so am able to keep them going, thank goodness, but the rest of the garden is becoming almost impossible at the moment.

Brian's veggie garden was looking very good until this hot spell; I think the "harvest" will be poor. The runner beans are all curling and I think the first boiling has now been delayed.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 pm

I can't sleep with a fan running so, when it's hot like this, I half fill a hot water bottle with cold water and put it in the freezer at breakfast time.
Half an hour before bedtime, put it in your bed and the sheets will feel beautifully cool. You can put it beside the bed in case you need further cooling in the night. Alternatively, keep it in there with you - I generally sleep with it snugged against the small of my back and it really helps on muggy nights. (NB. If you sleep in the altogether, better wrap the bottle in a tea towel!)
Andere Richtingen

Postby laurie53 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 am

A nice ENE breeze and a forecast max of 12 degrees.

I might get out and about today!
laurie53

Postby Monika » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Sounds good to me, Laurie. Do you do B and B?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby marieann » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:19 pm

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm very lucky.
marieann

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 am

We can't sleep with our bedroom window open as it's on a main road. The noise from the traffic, even at night time makes sleep impossible.

The bedroom was so hot again last night - even with the fan blowing so I decided to forsake my bed once again. This time I didn't sleep downstairs on the foldup bed but in my computer room - on the settee under the window. It's at the back of the house so I could have the window wide open. At least it was cooler but the settee is not as comfy as my own bed. I managed about three hours.

This weather is starting to make me seriously depressed. People might think I'm mad to be depressed in hot weather - I thought so too but after researching on the internet Summer depression is a real condition...
caroljoyce

Postby Poohdog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 am

The heat doesn't bother me,in fact the house stays cool...but the Gods have decided in their wisdom to give me cataracts to enhance my old age.Outside is just a blurr of light, like looking into a floodlight....can't drive,can't even see the bottom of the garden.Roll on the operation and a cloudy day.
Luckily the COPD aint too bad at the mo...I'd be in a hell of a mess without my carer who happens to be one in a million.
On the bright side it's given me lots of chances to watch the latest funeral plan ads...lots of chatty aunties next door and Grandads holding kids hands,all smiling broadly of course....the latest millionaire to jump on the bandwaggon....Alan Titchmarsh...wheres Carol Vordeman?...she doesn't usually miss out on the latest racket to try and part us from our savings.
Poohdog

Postby laurie53 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:54 am

A nice 20 mph ENE off the North Sea this morning so a bit more comfortable.

My used to swear that I suffered from SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder) though we never did anything about it formally.

Like most wives, she just got used to me being a misery!
laurie53

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:00 am

A bit cooler last night. I was pleased to be back in my own bed. Slept solid till 11.00am this morning.
I must have been so exhausted..
caroljoyce

Next

Return to Anything Goes