Poor Dying Garden

Except Personal Attacks

Poor Dying Garden

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Our garden is starting to resemble a desert. I couldn't remember the last time we had any rain here, so went to have a look and found that the last time we had any "proper" rain was on May 29 - 15.6mm. After that there was 1.8mm on June 7 and a totally useless 0.4mm on June 16th'

Many of my plants are dead, or dying. Yesterday I went round taking cuttings of some of them and tried rescuing some of my perennial geraniums, digging round the dried up roots, cutting a few bits off and potting up in some rich compost.

I love my garden and gardening so - fingers crossed.

(Long range says that there won't be any rain here until 20 July)
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Re: Poor Dying Garden

Postby Penny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Ours is the same Monica, all green seems to be brown. Just have to do what we can until we get rain. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Have you got a hose pipe ban?
My lawn's developed a few brown patches but other that that my plants are doing fine. I water them every evening.
caroljoyce

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm

We haven't got a hose-pipe ban, Carole, just a social conscience. Everybody around is in the same boat through lack of rain so we don't feel justified to use a hose-pipe.

We water every evening, mostly tubs and the recently planted shrubs and the older shrubs like hydrangeas with our watering cans and it's a real chore. Several plants have succumbed to this drought and are now lost; they can be replaced when the weather improves so it's something - but it is so sad to watch your garden deteriorating day by day. We don't have any lawns but lawns don't need watering anyway because, as soon as we get the rain,they spring into life again.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am

I came back from holiday expecting to find everything half dead but it's survived quite well. The hydrangeas look wonderful and the geraniums have survived, still flowering beautifully. The dandelions are thriving, too. Funny how they always do!
Andere Richtingen

Return to Anything Goes