Wondered if cats could tell the time as well as storms

Except Personal Attacks

Wondered if cats could tell the time as well as storms

Postby vannin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:06 pm

The title is not in full seriousness, but I had a set of coincidences with Triixie. Knowing cats are not everyone's favourite topic, I post this away from the usual thread!
I described how she went off for eighteen hours when the first lot of rain was due (27/7) plus storm. Departed ON the hour 9 a.m. on the Friday. Returned saturated 3 a.m. the Saturday, hurled herself on the bed!!!! I'd barely kept myself from fearing the worst by self-reminders about how cats sense the change in barometric pressure. The present normal temperature is a blessing.
The second adventure a week ago was also 18 hours, centred on a Saturday at 1 a.m. disappearance and return at 7p.m. So she had avoided the dreaded vet visit at 9.15 and again at 4.10 (vet reception offer a 'try-again on a daily basis!!!) Most cats sense it is coming tho I'm sure I play it very cool in spite of all my dread. As soon as she came in, she went under my bed for 24 hours just emerging every little while for a drink of water!! New vet apptmt was for Mon 4.15. I'd put a litter tray in the house which she accepted though it is seldom part of her routine.

The hiding-place changed on Monday morning and, after food, went into to the hall cupboard where she stayed until vet-readiness time and I scooped her out. My friend who kindly transports us had made two wasted trips from her house, but this time, success. Treatment successful. Less scratching and her appetite has increased and she wants cuddles and is not hiding! All the bad experience for me and for Trixie is beforehand and we gradually get over it. Till next time.
vannin

Re: Wondered if cats could tell the time as well as storms

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm

How very weird. I wonder if she somehow gets subliminal messages from you (without you being aware of it)?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby vannin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I think....maybe to some extent, there are vibes between most cats and their owners. Maybe dogs and theirs also - I have never owned a dog.

This being a one-person household and I am at home much more than I used to be, there is far more mutual 'awareness' than with family cats we had. Perhaps I ought to find a new hobby other than choral singing and genealogy!!
vannin

Postby lavonne » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Animals do know the time ,its been proved via a T V programme which followed their routine, but they also sense when ts time to go to vets & make sure they are not available at the time,finding some new hiding place
lavonne

Postby Maywalk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:33 pm

It was our cat named "Blue" that saved my father and my sister's life during WW2 Vannin.
"Blue" was with them when the rest of the house got bombed and fell on the Anderson that they were sheltering in.
He managed to find a way out so there must have been an air hole somewhere for the air to get in that kept my sister and Dad going until the firemen realised that "Blue" was going to carry on yowling on top of the debris until someone came.
Sounds far fetched but perfectly true.
My father found "Blue" in the hold of the ship that he worked on because he was a stevedore. "Blue" was a tiny kitten and Dad reckoned that the mother had been abandoned or killed during the bombing so he brought it home with him and "Blue" was taken on by my mother. She adored him and fed him from her own rations.
Tale about "Blue" in the book I wrote.
Maywalk

Postby dita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

A beautiful story Maisie. My dog senses every time when I am ill, depressed, unhappy or just lonely, she reacts and knows exactly what to do in any of those situations, my OH occasionally gets a muscle spasm in his hand, Dolly will immediately run over to him and comfort him. OH can also get very tetchy and sometimes bad tempered, she will come and sit close to me and wont go anywhere near him till his mood changes. We do not give animals enough credit as a whole.
dita

Postby Maywalk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello Dita,
Yes I have to agree with you because animals can pick up on a persons mood and seem to know when their owners are not very well. I only wish I could have one myself because you can tell them so much and they seem to understand. Unfortunately I dare not have one now because I am very bad on my feet and rather bothered about falling over them when they become excited and jumping about between ones legs. I get SO angry when I see how some poor animals are treated when watching TV programmes about them. :tantrum2: :evil:
Maywalk

Postby vannin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Yes Maisie, I enjoyed reading about little Blue in the book you wrote. What a little treasure.When cats yowl, there is always a good reason and they wouldn't just make such a fuss for the sake of it.
vannin

Postby Maywalk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi Vannin. Glad you enjoyed the tale.
I have had many folks contacting me to find out if I wrote any more about my life and I said that I had but never got them published because I started with Epilepsy at the age of 80 and also hubby had started with Dementia.
I was asked by many if they could read the tales after marriage and since I first started putting them on Facebook I have had many more contacting me to ask if they too could read them so it’s been all go but it’s kept my brain going and I only wish it could have kept my body going.
Maywalk

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am

We had a cat called Annie who definitely knew the time. She knew when to expect either of us home from work and would be waiting in the hall or on the windowsill to greet us,. She was also a stickler for regular mealtimes and if food was not produced at 7:30am or 5pm because we were busy and forgot the time, she would come and howl stridently at us and paw at our ankles until we obliged! You may think this was all due to habit and "body clock" urgings . I would have, too except that she still got the time right even the day after the twice yearly clock change when you might expect her to be an hour late or an hour early. :lol:
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Yes they certainly know Andere.
Here is a tale of "Sparkie" the kitten found by our dog that happened over 65 years ago.

While "Prince" our old dog was still reasonably healthy he found the cat in our garden when she was a kitten. He came in and kept barking at us as though trying to tell us something.

When Cliff and I finally followed him out we saw this little black scrap of a kitten being violently sick and writhing in agony. "Prince" must have sensed the urgency for the kitten although he was not fond of cats and could have killed her with a snap of his jaws. Where the kitten had come from we never did find out although we asked neighbours.
Cliff immediately ran in for the castor oil and literally poured it down the kitten's throat. He sat up all night nursing the kitten and cleaning up after it when it kept throwing up but by the next morning "Sparkie" as we called her was perking up and lapping a drop of milk.
Her devotion to my hubby after that had to be seen for it to be believed. "Sparkie" followed hubby everywhere. She even fathomed out what shift he was on and used to wait for him coming out of work because we lived in a house that was owned by my hubbys employers and the factory was a bit further down the road. She used to run and meet him to walk home with him. It was an uncanny relationship between them.
This next piece will explain what I mean by the close relationship between hubby and cat.
We had no bathrooms years ago and had to have a strip wash down every day at the kitchen sink. Our living facilities were FAR different from today. Houses are not built today without a bathroom/s. They are a MUST in any building regulations now. We had to bring a tin bath in every Friday night and put it in front of the coal fire to get a bath. During the week we had to make do with a strip wash at the kitchen sink.
As soon as hubby got in and started taking his things off for his strip wash "Sparkie" used to climb up on top of the door leading into the kitchen and when hubby was washing his face she would leap over on to his neck and wrap herself round him. She never dug her claws in just wrapped herself round his neck like a collar.
I had to keep the door shut after she had done this about three times so that hubby could have a wash in peace. I had to lock her in the front room when he was having a bath because she would once again be round his neck.
Maywalk

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm

What a lovely tale, Maisie. Yes I've also lived in several houses without bathrooms or indoor lavs and have no wish to revert to those times! Going down the yard to pee on a winter night is no fun at all, especially if, as at my great aunt's house, there's no "proper" paper, only squares of the Daily Mail stuck on a nail!

Before Annie, we had a strange little black cat called Sooty. He was half Persian, the runt of his litter and was given to us as a kitten by a family friend when my 2 year old daughter fell in love with him. He grew up to be a real pickle, always in trouble of some sort, mostly because, by cat standards, he was a bit thick! He was also almost entirely mute which led to difficulties when he got shut in the cellar and on another occasion, nailed under the spare room floorboards!!

Sooty went missing over a summer weekend and, increasingly worried, we looked in all the usual places, asked neighbours and so on. On the Sunday afternoon, I saw a black cat in the back garden - not Sooty although very like him to look at. I went out and the strange puss came and rubbed around my legs, yowling quite urgently and kept running towards the back fence then running back to me and yowling some more. He was plainly trying to tell me something so I went to the fence - 2m high - found something to stand on and looked over.

In the garden behind stood a tiny greenhouse with a small roof vent open and,in the greenhouse, sitting forlornly on some staging and silently miaowing at me, was Sooty. We went around to the house whose green house it was but nobody was home and a neighbour said they were away on holiday. Problem!!

Fortunately, OH managed to get over the fence with the aid of our small stepladder and, to our relief, the greenhouse door wasn't locked. Out trotted a very relieved Sooty who was handed over the fence to me. He then sat there calmly washing himself while we went through gymnastics with the ladder to get OH back on to our property. The other black cat sat a little distance away watching until he was happy all was well then he jumped over the same back fence and disappeared.

Sooty was fine once he'd been fed and watered and had a good sleep on our daughter's bed and we never saw the other cat again. I've always been grateful to him,though.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm

That too was a lovely tale Andere.
Pity we don’t have a special section to read about the various happenings of the members pets. I don’t have any now as I said before because I can’t look after them as I would like to but that does not stop me wanting to read about the pets of others.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes