What book arew you reading?

Except Personal Attacks

What book arew you reading?

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 am

I've just started a book called 'Don't wake up' by Liz Lawler.

This woman wakes up on the operating table and hovering over her is a masked surgeon. Her arms are tied together and he has her legs up in stirrups and tells her in a menacing voice that he's going to perform a vulvectomy on her!

She knows there's nothing wrong with here and can't remember going on the operating table. How did she get there?

Why was she found outside in the hospital gardens under a shrub two hours later totally unharmed?

Nobody believes her story but she knows it happened ....

I'm totally riveted to this book.
caroljoyce

Re: What book arew you reading?

Postby laurie53 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 am

Good Grief! Makes my cut tent Regency romance look a bit tame!
laurie53

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am

A change of reading habit might do you good laurie. :mrgreen:

Typo - I tried to edit the unwanted letter W out of the title but can't!!
caroljoyce

Postby Penny » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:12 am

Sounds fantastic Carol, only hope you are not reading it at bedtime. Be interesting to know the end, cheers Penny
Penny

Postby laurie53 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:47 am

caroljoyce wrote:A change of reading habit might do you good laurie. :mrgreen:

Typo - I tried to edit the unwanted letter W out of the title but can't!!

I try to be pretty catholic, Carol - Sharpe, Bond, Hornblower (full sets), Clancy, Lublum, Fullerton, Kent. I'm off Jilly Cooper and Archer though I used to like then.

I'm limited to audio books now, and they can be a bit pricey _ my last one was £18 (they are subject to VAT)! Library choices are necessarily limited.

I suppose really I ought to find some library/ book forums to keep up to date.
laurie53

Postby marieann » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm listening to one of Elizabeth Peters' 'Amelia Peabody' books at the moment because they make me laugh, I have the series, she's a bit like Hyacinth. I have a Peter Robinson book on the iPod as well and I'm alternating.

I have a monthly payment with Audible, Laurie, it's £7.99 but it buys me any audiobook no matter the price. I read Kindle ebooks as well and now Amazon own Audible they sell some audio books for £2.99 to £3.99 if you buy the kindle book first. The Kindle book is often only 99p so I've been doing that and saving my monthly vouchers. I re-joined the county library last Tuesday and when I got home downloaded two mp3 audio books from there. You're right they don't have a stack but they will try and get you anything you really want. I'm almost permanently in the house so I get through a lot. Have you thought about the RNIB talking books, Laurie? The only problem there is that you would need to return them.
marieann

Postby laurie53 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm

marieann wrote:I'm listening to one of Elizabeth Peters' 'Amelia Peabody' books at the moment because they make me laugh, I have the series, she's a bit like Hyacinth. I have a Peter Robinson book on the iPod as well and I'm alternating.

I have a monthly payment with Audible, Laurie, it's £7.99 but it buys me any audiobook no matter the price. I read Kindle ebooks as well and now Amazon own Audible they sell some audio books for £2.99 to £3.99 if you buy the kindle book first. The Kindle book is often only 99p so I've been doing that and saving my monthly vouchers. I re-joined the county library last Tuesday and when I got home downloaded two mp3 audio books from there. You're right they don't have a stack but they will try and get you anything you really want. I'm almost permanently in the house so I get through a lot. Have you thought about the RNIB talking books, Laurie? The only problem there is that you would need to return them.

Thank you. I subscribe to Audible too, but it is only one book a month, and zi read two a week! As you say, returning books is a problem. I tend to stick to downloads. The lack of optical drives also is a bit of a problem as most libraries are on CDs, not USB sticks or SD cards. Kindle is out of course.
laurie53

Postby marieann » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Bush CD Player with MP3 Playback at Argos this one was 24.99 I think but they do one without mp3 playback for 12.99 and it would slip into your pocket if you wanted to go into the kitchen and keep listening, just an idea.

I have an optical drive in my desktop but have a usb optical drive to plug into my little laptop if needed.
marieann

Return to Anything Goes