Common Sense

Except Personal Attacks

Common Sense

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Do you think the British people in authority will ever get their common sense back; personally, I don't think it will be during my life-time. :roll:

Nottingham City Council is extremely good in regards to the collection of large items (household waste) without any charge. Brian doesn't use a computer (refuses actually) but asked me to send an email to the Council regarding the collection of a leaking water butt and a broken rotary clothes line. They duly gave us a date (yesterday) and he put them out at the front of our house. Across the road there was a mattress awaiting collection which was picked up and the lorry drove past our items. Thinking we had been missed, Brian rang them.

They wouldn't speak to him and insisted that they speak to me about the matter. Why they couldn't just tell him what they told me (that our items only needed the smaller lorry which would turn up before 3pm) I don't know. Some bliddy thing which has seen off common sense - it's called Data Protection apparently. :tantrum2:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Re: Common Sense

Postby Poohdog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Lucky you...North Notts £12.50 per item removed.
Poohdog

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Pooh ........ I know most councils do make a charge and £12.50 per item probably puts a lot of people off.

I think that Nottingham City Council bore that in mind and thought the cost of clearing up and collecting fly tipped items was probably more expensive than offering this service.
Monika

Postby vannin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 am

Monika wrote:
it's called Data Protection apparently. :tantrum2:

Ah yes, Data Protection, the brother of Politically Correct!
vannin

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:26 am

Not to mention, Health and Safety, vannin
Monika

Postby vannin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 am

Monika wrote:Not to mention, Health and Safety, vannin

My California-based cousin wrote last week saying how OTT the PC has become. Not allowed to say 'Indian Summer' now'. I find it odd because saying a nationality, Indian, Pakistani or Hottentot, has never been an issue, they are not insulting nickname derivatives , (Yet anyway)
vannin

Postby maggieh » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:10 am

We can pay the council to take stuff away for us.But where I am we have a big building where our bins are kept.So we can put stuff in there and once a week the lorry comes and picks it up free of charge.You wouldn't be able to put fridges/freezers etc out there.
I am going to put my old cleaner down there before Thursday.
maggieh

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:40 pm

vannin wrote:Ah yes, Data Protection, the brother of Politically Correct!

The phone rang one morning while I was in the shower; OH answered it and when I emerged, he said the practice manager at my dentists had rung and would I please call her back. Thinking there might be a problem with my appointment later that day, I called back right away.

All she wanted was to remind me I had an appointment at 4pm that day and when I asked why she hadn't just left that message with OH, she replied that Data Protection rules mean that she can only speak to the patient and not just any person who answers the phone. After all, she said, the man who answered might just be there to lay a carpet or mend the washing machine!

Sometimes, I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe .... :roll:
Andere Richtingen

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Oh Andere - it's unbelievable isn't it! You would think that every Tom, Dick and Harriet were in the employ of MI5 ................crazy :roll:

I don't like the regular occurrence of having to give your date of birth when attending hospitals, doctors, dentists etc. I don't want to tell all and sundry how very ancient I am!
Monika

Postby dita » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:52 am

All that faffing about is going on at this house too, my OH is always getting calls from the Hospital and GP's etc. And like you say Monika the questions they ask makes you feel like telling them to get stuffed :)
dita

Postby maggieh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 pm

dita wrote:All that faffing about is going on at this house too, my OH is always getting calls from the Hospital and GP's etc. And like you say Monika the questions they ask makes you feel like telling them to get stuffed :)

Now now Dita. :lol: :lol: :lol:
maggieh

Return to Anything Goes