So many beards

Except Personal Attacks

So many beards

Postby Penny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Looking round yesterday I amazed at how many young men in their 20s and earl thirties, with black hair, have shoulder length hair and small beards. All young men in my day used to shave and have smart hair=cuts. Has anyone else noticed this. cheers Penny.
Penny

Re: So many beards

Postby dita » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 pm

I agree with what you have said Penny and have been very conscious of it for a long time, would love to say things about this but it may cause offence, so have kept off the subject ?
dita

Postby vannin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Well yes, I remember the smart appearance of before the sixties. But from the 60s to 80s, smart went out of the window, to a great extent. Then there was an improvement, except for the commuting city 'gents' with shirt tails hanging out, and carrying back packs instead of briefcases and brollies. When I worked in the City, it was bowlers!

Another thing, girls wearing tops that left bare tummies, in all weathers. This especially worried me re. pregnant girls because I wished they would consider keeping baby warm.
vannin

Postby twin1947 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:24 pm

And now a days girls dont wear maternity dresses do they.
twin1947

Postby vannin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm

No, it is many years since I saw a maternity dress, and there used to be lovely styles in our day.
vannin

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am

There sure have been some changes over the years and I cant honestly say they are all for the better.
I get sick of seeing folks wandering about with phones in their hands or worse still driving with one in their hand. Its illegal we know but its surprising how many berks seem to think they are immune from the law. :huffin:
Children too have mobile phones playing violent games on them.
Another thing that gets my back up is all the ruddy SEX thrown at us on the TV. :evil: :evil:

OK so I am an old biddy with an old fashioned view on life but it would be nice to see folks stop and have a word with each other without blasted mobiles in their hands and better still it would be great to see children out playing together instead of being cooped up in the home playing with their mobiles or watching various daft so called childens programmes on TV.

Technology is a wonderful thing BUT it has its faults which has really CHANGED our way of living and conversation.
Maywalk

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 pm

I really disliked maternity dresses - like sacks, I thought. The only one I liked was a multi-coloured kaftan I bought for evenings and wore for years afterwards. I spent most of my pregnancy in those elasticated trousers from Mothercare with huge baggy sweaters over the I top but I was lucky in being pregnant during the depths of winter so it worked out OK.

As for beards, I've been struck recently by the number of men in the mid 50s to 70s age group who've started sporting beards. Mostly quite neat and tidy once they're properly grown but depressingly grey! OH has been told firmly that there will be a divorce if he follows the trend but, fortunately, he's never fancied a beard after seeing his brother's example. BiL grew a full and bushy beard in his 20s. Alas, it was sort of reddish brown and usually cntained bits of his previous meal and was sort of patchy on the cheeks where little bits of face showed through. He looked like a cross between a mangy dog and an abandoned birds' nest - not a pretty sight!
Andere Richtingen

Postby Penny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Hubby in the butchers today, a lady came in wearing very fancy high heeled shoes, with short shorts on. In his usual Doc Martin manner, OH said to her ' you should not leave nice legs like that uncovered, you will get Arthritis...... thought afterwards, why do ladies wear lovely high heels with shorts. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I do think blokes look all the same with their beards, its a possibility that they may get approached by someone thinking they are their partner or something. Did think you're OH brave for saying that to the lady in the butchers Penny, he may have got slapped across the snozzle with a string of sausages :) :) Got to agree with a lot that Maisie said, it is certainly different to the world I was brought into, or my children.
dita

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Once upon a time! :-)
I grew a beard,
Because I heared
That strained food
Was very good
For wind
And mind
And the complexion!

A beard is:
Face fuzz if your very young.
Artistic if you’re highly strung
Noble if you’re nautical.
Snooty if you’re haughtical
Dirty if you wear long hair
Essential if you go round bare
And astounding if you’re 3 years old!
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Penny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Love it ciderman. Wonder if you still have one////// cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm

It depends how long you let it grow Michael if it is ............

Essential if you go around bare. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I dont dislike beards but I like to see them trimmed.
My granddaughters hubby has one and being a red head its bright ginger. :lol:
Mind you he looks quite handsome in his uniform.
Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Penny wrote:Love it ciderman. Wonder if you still have one////// cheers Penny

no , not allowed to now Penny! :-)
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Return to Anything Goes