The mind boggles

Except Personal Attacks

The mind boggles

Postby Maywalk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 pm

When I went to have the dressing taken off my arm yesterday the nurse noticed my middle finger on my left hand because it has a swelling just below the nail and the nail is going distorted. She told me to make an appointment with the doc to get it seen to because they only deal with one thing at a time now.
Anyway I managed to get in this afternoon. When the doc looked at it he said he could not quite make out what it was. It looks like a whitlow to me BUT he would not commit himself and said he had not come across anything like it before so he has taken photos of it to send to the dermatologist. ???
Got to wait now to see what the verdict is. Never a dull moment.
Maywalk

Re: The mind boggles

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Must be something about whitlows, Maisie.... I used to have them as a child - 3 or 4 times, always on the same finger and they hurt like *&?$. At least, I think I had whitlows! I saw three different doctors who all studied my poor, sore finger under a magnifying glass and a good light and announced that they couldn't be sure but it was probably a whitlow ..... Two of them then dosed me with antibiotics and the ?whitlows went away for a while. The third lanced the side of my finger and , having drained some nasty gunk out of it, painted the wound with something that looked and smelled like bitumen, told me to keep it bandaged for 10 days and, if it was a whitlow, that would probably cure it!

It worked. The condition never returned but, if you were to study my medical notes for around 1959/60, I'll bet they still say something like "patient presented with a query whitlow"! :lol:

I hope they resolve your whitlow soon; with all your other tribulations it must feel as if someone up there hates you. At the GP practice I used to go to, they had notices in Reception telling you that, if you want to discuss more than one ailment, you must make an appointment for each item on your agenda! One of the docs told me this was because an amazing number of people came in and spent the whole 10 minutes fussing about something really trivial then, just as they were about to leave, would ask about something much more complex that required examinations and tests, etc so a 10 minute appointment would morph into 20 or 30 mins and they whole day ended up running late.
Andere Richtingen

Return to Anything Goes