Who doesn't have the flu jab and why?

Except Personal Attacks

Who doesn't have the flu jab and why?

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 pm

I'd be really interested to know how many of our members do not have the flu jab and why?
caroljoyce

Re: Who doesn't have the flu jab and why?

Postby vannin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Strange question to which I think the obvious answer is some people might be allergic or have illnesses which would preclude having it. The virus culture is based on egg which is why egg-allergy people are excluded. Nurse usually asks.

If I anticipated dreadful reaction such as I had from the last one, I would think twice about going in future.
If people say they can't stand needles, I would say 'You ain't felt nuffin like the ocular injection effect!!'

Edited after googling and it seems there is a new alternative. An American update for 'News on Infectious diseases' shows
Cell-based flu vaccine 36% more effective than egg-based vaccine
November 20, 2018
Seqirus released adjusted data showing that its cell-based quadrivalent influenza vaccine was around 36% more effective than the standard egg-based quadrivalent vaccine in preventing influenza-like symptoms in people aged 4 years and older during the most recent influenza season in the United States.
vannin

Postby twin1947 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

I was offered the flu jab last year and had it,but havent been offered it this year,so cant really say much :lol:
twin1947

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am

vannin wrote:Strange question to which I think the obvious answer is some people might be allergic or have illnesses which would preclude having it. The virus culture is based on egg which is why egg-allergy people are excluded. Nurse usually asks.

The question wasn't thought strange when I asked elsewhere.

People came up with all sorts of reasons why they refused it and nothing to do with allergies/illnesses. For instance - some people refuse it because they think it's pumping poison into the body...
caroljoyce

Postby vannin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Your question was 'I'd be really interested to know how many of our members do not have the flu jab and why?' which is entirely different from 'How many REFUSE the jab' and would have drawn an entirely different answer.
vannin

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Never mind - my meaning is clear now. :)
caroljoyce

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Twin: you don't need to be offered a flu vaccination. If you're over 65, you are entitled to one every year on the NHS if you want it. You don't have to trouble your GP surgery if you don't want to - just walk into one of the many pharmacies that offer it and you can fill in a few forms which the shop then sends to theGP for the records and the pharmacist gives the injection. Before we moved, I always got mine done at the local Superdrug because it was handier than schlepping off to the surgery. (Here, I go to the surgery because it's nearer).
Andere Richtingen

Postby twin1947 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:01 pm

I had to go for a BP check at drs today and he asked if i wanted the flu jab and i said no thankyou he said we have to ask.
I might have the shingles jab though,will ask when i go back next month as BP was high so got new tablets to take in the morning,i read the leaflet and they make you wee a lot thats going to be a joy.
twin1947

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 am

twin1947 wrote:I had to go for a BP check at drs today and he asked if i wanted the flu jab and i said no thankyou he said we have to ask.

You had it last year. Why did you decide not to have it this year Janet?
caroljoyce

Postby marieann » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:59 am

I find it means less severe chest infections and colds. I missed mine two years ago because I had flu and I think because of that I had problems for the rest of the year. Last year the nurse offered to give me one when I went to have my leg dressed and I was glad to have it. I've had the shingles injection Janet, I hope that means I won't get that, it's horrible.
marieann

Postby Monika » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:06 pm

I had the shingles jab in 2014 and in May 2017 I got shingles.

Since the rash went, I have been suffering from post herpetic neuralgia (extremely painful) which is a result of the shingles. It is now 21 months since and over 2 years since I first became ill with another condition.

I have now been diagnosed with clinical depression and the doctor isn't one bit surprised.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby twin1947 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 pm

I just didnt fancy having it really,i dont normally get coughs and colds.I do know flu is different altogether though.
twin1947

Return to Anything Goes