Fly Past.

Except Personal Attacks

Fly Past.

Postby Maywalk » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 am

I have just sat and watched the fly past in memory of the American Airmen who lost their lives when trying to avoid any of the residents nearby. I have to admit to shedding a few tears because it reminded me of D-Day SO many years ago and the hundreds of planes setting out to bring the rotten war to a close. I was 14 at the time.

It was surprising and heartening to see how many turned out this morning to pay their respects not only to those who died but to the man who tended the spot where they crashed all those years ago.
A lovely touching story to start the day instead of hearing about murders, global warming plus ruddy Brexit and many other dismal every day happenings.

Have a good day everyone.
Maywalk

Re: Fly Past.

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I read about this earlier in the week and have just watched a recording of the fly past. I , too, had to wipe away a tear as I watched the expression on Tony Foulds' face as the planes flew over. After all these decades of being, seemingly, the only person who gave a damn about the aircrew's sacrifice , it must have felt quite surreal to see those thousands of people gathered in the park and all the boss in gold braid and campaign medals.

As you say, Maisie, a much better news story than much of the stuff that's out there. Well done, Tony and Dan Walker.
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:21 pm

I was intrigued by the fly past-------like Tony at that time I was a small girl, my Dad along with his large family all Sheffield folk, the males in various military actions within the forces, the females many working in the munition factories doing their bit for us Brits. I could have quite easily have been there at the time the plane went down because Mum and I spent lots of time staying with Grandparents at that time. We were there too when the blitz hit us, we all hid in the cellar------emerging from that was quite an experience and I know you knew about that Maisie. Walking down the Moor the following day was a sight I will never forget-----even though I was so little.
dita

Postby Maywalk » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi Dita.
Yes that sort of memory never seems to go away. I tried to shelve my feelings for around 74 years and it was only because I could not knit ot hold a book and being SO frustrated after breaking my right hip and left arm that my son told me to start writing about the past. Hence the book of the first 20 years of my life that, to my amazement, brought me many messages from worldwide. Including an interview with ITV.
It brought back SO many memories though this morning watching that wonderful tribute and Tony's face.
Couldn't stop the flow.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes