Football history help wanted

Except Personal Attacks

Football history help wanted

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 am

I'm popping these all over the internet in hope of getting some info about the teams involved. The inscription below each medal are engraved on the reverse. My father was a good footballer and played for the London Met Police team which played other police teams on the continent just prior to the war .
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Re: Football history help wanted

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue May 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Ciderman, I know zilch about football but, many moons ago, Princess Beatrice Hospital was the local general hospital for the Earls Court area where I lived for a couple of years. It was the kind of busy, bustling useful little hospital that every town used to have until the NHS decided they were too small and well liked to be cost effective and closed them all down. I was an in-patient there once for about a week and, despite being ill, I enjoyed my time in hospital. It was round the corner from home so my flatmates could drop in to visit; all of us women on the gynae ward were given a bottle of Guiness every evening lest we be suffering from iron deficiency (I gave mine to the woman in the next bed because actually drinking the stuff would probably have made me ill-er). Staff knew the patients' names and we knew theirs. Less technology than now but, oh, so much better an atmosphere.

I expect the football team was the usual mix of physios, pharmacists and medics who could be persuaded to turn out on a Saturday afternoon. Most hospitals had such teams - p!us rugby and cricket, too.

The building still exists as a hostel and you can see it on Google Earth/Street View at 0o 11' 33"W / 51o 29' 11"N. I've been trying to post a link but my clipboard won't work. Sorry! The green space you can see next door is the old Brompton Cemetery where the staff usd to joke they buried their mistakes.

I found a brief history of the hospital at https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/princessbeatrice.html

Nothing whatever to do with football, I know but your post stirred up some long forgotten memories :lol:
Andere Richtingen

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks Andere. All information gratefully received. While I know my dad played football for the London Met Police often on the continent against other police teams, I don't know if these medals involved them or another team. I know he played for Brentham as I have some old newspaper cuttings which he is named in.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 pm

If you cant get any info about them Michael why not try WIKI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 pm

I got some info from a chap on another forum that the medal on the left is definitely London Met Police and he gave me some info on the Princess Beatrice hospital but nothing on the charity cup.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Michael.
It is satisfying isn't it when you can find out information of various items that you have kept over time that you knew nothing about.?
You need to keep a record now because any future generations will then KNOW what is was awarded for.
Good luck with the other one.
Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 am

I archive almost everything Frolique. I have found the U3A writing group that I belong to provide a good motivation to write about things for my grandchildren . It seems that these things only become fascinating in later life. I wish now I could talk to my grandparents. :-)
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:28 am

Glad to know you are keeping any info from many years ago Michael.
My mother used to keep a lot but unfortunately much of it went out in a blaze of glory during the London Blitz so what bit she had left she guarded with her life and I am more than happy to have finished up with it.
Strangely enough I did NOT get to know much of our family history until I was well into my 50s and it was after being told about my mothers sister and her twin daughters who had perished on the Titanic that I started to get involved with it all. NO record was ever found of their deaths like a good many more cock ups over the years. :evil:
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Just found a little mentioning injured policeman. Constable Bannister. cheers Penny
Penny

Return to Anything Goes