WW2 VENUE

Except Personal Attacks

WW2 VENUE

Postby Maywalk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:01 pm

I had a super day out on Saturday at the Quorn WW2 venue.
It was a really good turn out of re-enactors who were dressed the part and entertainers singing all the old songs.
The atmosphere was brilliant with everyone talking to each other and some had come from as far as Scotland and Wales to be there for the weekend.
There were many there especially wanting to go and sit in the cockpit of the Spitfire, into the bargain the old steam trains running by.
Stalls set out with 1940s gear on them as well as the vintage clothing and the amount of young ones taking part was encouraging to think that there are still many who are not drug and knife crazy.
Super day amid like minded people.
I had the honour of talking to a lady aged 97 who used to be in the army operations room. We sat chatting for quite a while in our wheelchairs when awaiting our turn to visit the disabled loo. :lol:
I also had a lovely chat with a chappie who was born in India who joined the Regular Army and had his chest laden with medals.
Maywalk

Re: WW2 VENUE

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 am

Funny how there's always a queue for the loo, isn't it?

I'm glad you had a good time, Maisie - when I go to such events, I enjoy watching the participants and observing how, while many are thoroughly enjoying their rôles, there are always one or two who look grumpy and as though they wish they hadn't volunteered. Makes you wonder who talked them into it!

At least you had decent weather for it. Squelching around in the rain never adds anything to the occasion!
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 am

Yes I got my nose burnt Andere with the sun and I feel like Rudolph.
I have to say that I did NOT see any miserable faces and the atmosphere was fantastic.
Maywalk

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm

I enjoy these 40's events too Maisie.
I went to one at Haworth that was good and also last year Bletchley had one. I'm hoping to find one this year.

I especially love the dance tent where local dancers do the jive & jitterbug. Some of them are quite old. I don't know where they get the stamina!!
caroljoyce

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Where abouts do you live Carol ?
I might be able to find the dates where venues are going off near you to see if you can get to one.I have a list somewhere.

It was an enjoyable day with all the entertainment going off plus the Spitfire being there and everyone taking part as a re-enactor dressing the part as near as possible. Plus the old steam train puffing by with spectators on them having a meal.

Its just the ruddy opposite today regarding the weather BUT knowing the English weather anything can happen as it proved with D-day being postponed from the 5th to the 6th of that year of 1944.
Maywalk

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm in Derbyshire Maisie.
caroljoyce

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Carol, there's a WW2 re-enactment weekend at Crich Tramway village on 10/11 August. See http://www.tramway.co.UK/whatson/list

A bit further afield for you but those who go regularly reckon it's one of the best in the country: the little town of Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire has a 1940s weekend each July when the whole town centre goes back in time! No steam trains (the railway is long gone) but plenty of vintage vehicles, costumed re reactors and genera! enthusiasm. This year, it's on 13/14 July. See https://woodhall-spa-40s-festival.com for more details. Despite living so close, I haven't yet managed to get to this event. The transport museum I'm involved with usually sends along a bus or two. The first year we lived here, we missed the bus!! Last year and this year, the dates clash with our summer holiday. One day... :roll:

Peak Rail at Matlock usually do a WW2 event but I haven't found it in their program this year so maybe it's "resting" until next year.
Hope this helps a bit!
Andere Richtingen

Postby Maywalk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:28 pm

If you like the 1940s style of dancing Carol scroll down here........ https://www.massonmillsshoppingvillage.com/events

This is the Haworth 1940s website but you will see they had their venue in May and if you look through it it gives you the date of the WW2 venue in 2020................. http://haworths1940sweekend.com/index.html

This is Bletchleypark ...............https://bletchleypark.org.uk/whats-on/1 ... end-summer

I hope you find something of interest.
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes