Re: Hi Dita and all

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Re: Hi Dita and all

Postby dita » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi Vannin, just loved your post about your time in Ireland, so interesting, my Dad used to also do hoeing of the Sugar beet to earn extra money, he worked in the local sugar factory on shifts after he left the army but the wages were very low, taking an acre or two of sugar beet to hoe and look after meant more money to start our lives again after losing our bungalow because of him having to go fight for his country. What a wonderful surprise for you catching up with Jimmy's son who looked so much like his Dad, a lovely story, thanks for telling it.
What you read about a shortage of Eastern Europeans I also read a few months ago, the Boston area has always relied on them coming each year.
I don't know about your Grandmother but we didn't have either gas or electricity to cook with, but what she did have was a large oven attached to our coal fire and that was the one which cooked all our meals, including breads & cakes etc. I do hope everyone are keeping well, pleased to hear your news Penny. Take care all and Hugs and Love Vannin to yourself and Trixie from Dolly and me xxx
dita

Postby vannin » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Dita, my grandmother did all the cooking and baking on an open turf fire which had an iron rail with various pots and a kettle hanging from it. Before getting the electricity in about 1958, they had Alladdin oil lamps, and you took a candle to bed. We collected buckets of drinking water from natural springs that sprang up in the farm land. One of the cousins was a water diviner and there must have been a super-sensitive touch in him, because his sight was failing and he could also repair watches purely by feel. All water that was for household, not drinking, was collected from the river alongside the pasture, it was SO 'soft'. The farm was connected to mains water the year we four went on holiday, 1970, daughter was a year old.
My husband, a Londoner, always had the knack of conversing in the same nuances as whoever he was with, and everyone except family thought he was Irish. I had a friend who disbelieved it when she asked what part of Ireland he came from! Back in my childhood from the age of eight, I flew back and forth on my tod, the first time on an 8-seater, directly behind the pilot with a stewardess guardian. Seen off/ met/ in both Dublin and London. When I was 17 and missing Jimmy, Ruby Murray (I think it was) had a song in the charts. 'Goodbye Jimmy goodbye, I'll see you again but I don't know when' !! Tempting me in my new job, to save up for a record player on HP (£17) my boss being guarantor as I was under 21! Had to pay most of my weekly pay to the Bank hostel off Baker St. £5.25d pay & £3.10/6 half board + lunches at weekends.
The son has a lucrative business in the construction and delivery of movable chalets.
Here I am again wallowing! Have a good weekend everyone. Dita, Trixie and I send love to you and Dolly xxx
vannin

Postby Penny » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Afternoon all, do hope the weather is not upsetting you too much. Really has been a horrible day. Spoken to hubby and he will be leaving the clinic at 1.30 on Monday. so then as folk tell me. my troubles will start. Only joking. Sad news, Inlaw passed away yesterday evening. All who knew him say it is good as he has been ill for quite a few years and very seldon knew anyone. Son and DIL were here until late last night, finishing off the office for hubby and sewing room for me. I do hope you are feeling better Dita and you vannin back on form. Take it Maisie and Poohdog will enjoy their time with ciderman, Take care all and start posting before it starts to snow. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby dita » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Vannin we had Aladdin paraffin lamps, they did smell a bit but we never bothered, we also had a pump outside for water, when it froze we had to go down the field to the spring with a bucket and jug, grumbles were very few in those days too, we just did whatever. As you mentioned , the water was so soft and tasted like water should. phone ringing, gotta go. love to Vannin and Trixie from Dolly and me xxxx
dita

Postby maggieh » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Penny wrote:Afternoon all, do hope the weather is not upsetting you too much. Really has been a horrible day. Spoken to hubby and he will be leaving the clinic at 1.30 on Monday. so then as folk tell me. my troubles will start. Only joking. Sad news, Inlaw passed away yesterday evening. All who knew him say it is good as he has been ill for quite a few years and very seldon knew anyone. Son and DIL were here until late last night, finishing off the office for hubby and sewing room for me. I do hope you are feeling better Dita and you vannin back on form. Take it Maisie and Poohdog will enjoy their time with ciderman, Take care all and start posting before it starts to snow. cheers Penny

Enjoy the most of your peaceful weekend Penny.Before your hubby is home to be looked after and waited on.Will be nice for you to have him home again.Sorry to read the inlaw passed away,He will now be out of pain.

Enjoy dancing tonight with the new judge Anton De Burke. :mrgreen: Take care everyone.
maggieh

Postby vannin » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:40 pm

Fireworks AGAIN tonight. Its been every night for a month and I need my sleep apart from the fact animals
are suffering.Not only pet cats and dogs, someone's pet rabbit died of fright, and at a zoo a baby zebra, which was the favourite animal of the zoo, collapsed and died from firework noise. There may be so many more not reported.
I am literally plodding on. The arms, shoulders, sides and back are responding well to the CBD. But arthritis which had been absent for a few months, returned in the knees. They say there is a link between arthritis, trauma and FybroM. Enough moaning now, but no news I can think of, except cheering about Dominic Cummings' departure. But as this is not a political thread, I leave it there. :magnify:

Dita, once we start reminiscing it is hard to stop! These days my thought are way back in the past most of the time. I hope your weekend is peaceful, take care. Lots of love from Trixie and me to you and Dolly xxx
vannin

Postby ciderman_nz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 am

There have been fireworks here too! Our big dog Chum becomes a slivering wreck. Stock, particularly horses, are badly affected. There is a movement here to allow fireworks on only one day and anything else is against the law. Public displays have a place and they are run by professionals who know what they are doing. Several options are on the cards.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Penny » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am

Morning all, has anyone had the rain like us here. I thought for a minute we were going to be washed away, never had such heavy stuff before. Only lasted about 15 minutes but my poor birds were getting desperate.
Can't comment on fireworks as we only get or should say hear, a few bangs per year. I hope all are feeling well and on the mend. Take care and keep warm. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 am

ciderman_nz wrote:There have been fireworks here too! Our big dog Chum becomes a slivering wreck. Stock, particularly horses, are badly affected. There is a movement here to allow fireworks on only one day and anything else is against the law. Public displays have a place and they are run by professionals who know what they are doing. Several options are on the cards.

Exactly Ciderman. One day a year should be plenty and I agree about public displays.
No use telling the M.P. who has his mind full of Brexit (of which he is Secretary) and is part of the clique from which two members exited the govmt this week. Constituents + animals don't figure much in his life.
vannin

Postby vannin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:22 pm

G'day everyone. Still wet. Seems N.Z. has been having torrential rain too and flooding......and it is not even winter there! Sogginess every day here but at least we are not having the misreported 'worst winter in memory'. It is nearly always the Daily Express responsible for the tactics, also predicting the hottest summer!
Still, wishing a good Sunday to all. Love to Dita and Dolly from Trixie and me. Take care everyone.
vannin

Postby dita » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi everyone, I feel so sorry to hear that there has been fireworks around still, seems at this time each year very little thought or respect is for the animals living in our world. Shows who is considered important in some peoples minds, thank god it is not everyone. Thankfully we haven't had any here since the ones I mentioned the other day.

A Happy Birthday Ciderman :) xxxx :wave: :birthday4:

Not much to write about today. Vannin we do seem to have followed a similar path in our lives, Love and Hugs to yourself and Trixie :bighugs: :bighugs: xxxx Take care everyone from Dolly and me xx :grouphug:
dita

Postby Penny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Morning all, not very bright. Had some rain early on and then a little sunshine, Now very cloudy with just a slight breeze. Hope everyone is keeping warm. Did you watch Strictly last night. I love the Dancer who is filling in as judge. Knows what he was talking about. Did you hear Bruno is locked up for a couple of weeks at 10 Downing St. Still working but has been in touch with someone who is reported to be positive. I pray every day that a answer can be found.
Anyone doing anything special today. Do any of you like the simple funnies?? Not known anyone ready for posers yet. Never mind, got to try to keep going. Hubby home thid afternoon. Have a super day all and keep warm and well. cheers Penny :please:
Penny

Postby vannin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Penny wrote:Morning all, not very bright. Had some rain early on and then a little sunshine, Now very cloudy with just a slight breeze. Hope everyone is keeping warm. Did you watch Strictly last night. I love the Dancer who is filling in as judge. Knows what he was talking about. Did you hear Bruno is locked up for a couple of weeks at 10 Downing St. Still working but has been in touch with someone who is reported to be positive. I pray every day that a answer can be found.
Anyone doing anything special today. Do any of you like the simple funnies?? Not known anyone ready for posers yet. Never mind, got to try to keep going. Hubby home thid afternoon. Have a super day all and keep warm and well. cheers Penny :please:

My mind boggles at the thought of Bruno Tonioli sashaying around 10 Downing St!!! :banana: Penny, by any chance might you mean Boris??! HE was not so much in touch with, but meeting with, (an infected MP) both of them pictured without masks though Boris boasts he is 'following the rules'.
:lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bouncie:
Last edited by vannin on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vannin

Postby dita » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:38 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :grouphug:
Oh! Vannin just have to join in with your giggle-------Penny what are you like??
Must be excitement because Hubby coming home :grouphug: Its a chilly cloudy day, please Dolly dont make me play footie---please :please: :groaner:
Take care everyone, Love and hugs to Vannin and Trixie xxx
dita

Postby Penny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm

So sorry folks, of course it was not Bruno. Going round the bend. Son and daughter been here all afternoon talking to hubby and son still here finishdoing ing off downstairs office. Hubby doing very well with his walking frame. Someone there gave him a shave removing his small beard and he doesn't look like hubby at all. My main problem is getting him up and down, instead of me doing it. Fingers crossed. Hope everyone is keeping well and warm. Take care. cheers Penny, Will think more of Bruno at no.10. ha ha
Penny

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes