Magpies

Except Personal Attacks

Magpies

Postby Penny » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Had a shock yesterday, three Magpies cam for food along with our rooks. We had twp pheasants also. The magpies shocked me, in all the years we have lived here we have not seen one. The rooks did not seem to like them, I thought them beautiful. Have you ever had them?, cheers Penny
Penny

Re: Magpies

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:01 pm

At one time, there were a lot of magpies around where we used to live but there was an influx of pigeons which seemed to drive the magpies away. Then there was an invasion of seagulls which seemed to drive just about everything away. Bliddy noisy, disgusting things. I hated them.

Here, I've only ever seen the occasional magpie by the roadside out of town. None around the house at all.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Penny » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:16 pm

We have two pigeons we call Percy but they didn't seem to like the magpies. Just about 150 rooks and jackdaws. Also we had two pheasants early today. Seems its the time of year they are short of food. No seagulls , pleased because they are noisy creatures. Enjoy the sunshine today. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:46 pm

In the 51 years living here, there have always been both magpies and pigeons, also Red Kites (in the past 15 - 20 years) and Squirrels. Between all of them, the smaller garden birds have decreased alarmingly. I live beside the woods where owls are often heard and sometimes seen if I am lucky. Woodpeckers keep busy there but seldom seen.
vannin

Postby Penny » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Lucky you vannin, would love to have an owl. We have regular squirrels, and woodpeckers plus lots of little birds.Hope you are now feeling fine. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Penny wrote:Lucky you vannin, would love to have an owl. We have regular squirrels, and woodpeckers plus lots of little birds.Hope you are now feeling fine. cheers Penny

Thank you Penny. It was strange seeing my arm and wrist again after 44 days when I couldn't wash between my elbow and fingers. So I soon put that right and keep applying loads of skin lotion.
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Absent from much of Scotland as they have a liking for grouse eggs chicks!

Like most of the Crow family they are quite sedentary and take time to re-colonise an area.

As you say, quite beautiful, with a wonderful green sheen in sunlight, but they're not a bird I would encourage. In the breeding season they like nothing better for breakfast than a brood of songbird nestlings or, later on, fledglings.
laurie53

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Andere Richtingen wrote: ......... Then there was an invasion of seagulls which seemed to drive just about everything away. Bliddy noisy, disgusting things. I hated them......

Anders, you have greatly upset Monsy ! She adores Stephen, her seagull, and often sends him out on raiding missions so watch out for retribution. :please:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Penny » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Rather odd today, no magpies, instead we had 4 male and two female pheasants. Getting better each day. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby maggieh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:33 pm

I sometimes have magpies outside my living room window on a piece of lead from the guttering.Parakeets also swing up there too.I can't feed them as no where to put any food.
maggieh

Postby Andere Richtingen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Lacemaker wrote:Anders, you have greatly upset Monsy ! She adores Stephen, her seagull, and often sends him out on raiding missions so watch out for retribution. :please:

Eek!! Sorry, Monsy. No personal slight against your faithful familiar intended. Honest.

:peace: ??

(Just in case, with this evening being a traditional time for magical mysteries, I'll see if I can create a Star Trek type force field around the house and poor little LK to repel marauding sea gulls :lol: )
Andere Richtingen

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Andere - :roflmao:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby laurie53 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Penny wrote:Rather odd today, no magpies, instead we had 4 male and two female pheasants. Getting better each day. cheers Penny

Christmas starter on the hoof!

Corn soaked in sherry should render them approachable enough to wring their necks.

Just hang them in a cool draught for the appropriate rime!

Don't kill the hens!
laurie53

Postby Penny » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:09 pm

Naughty. cheers Penny
Penny

Return to Anything Goes