Eye Test.

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Eye Test.

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm

I've been wearing gas permeable contacts since my mid twenties. Love 'em!

I've been very short sighted since I was 5 or 6, specs like milk bottle bottoms. Ugh. I think I have uneven ears or something because I've never, ever had a pair of specs that don't hurt either one ear or the other, despite frequent trips to opticians for tweaking and adjusting. I decided to try contacts after getting caught in heavy rain with my three year old daughter and being unable to see to cross the road safely due to the rain on my glasses. That was scary.

I expected to have problems adjusting to the contacts but, no! Within a week I was wearing them from when I get up to when I go to bed and have done so ever since. As middle age struck and I developed long sight in addition to short sight, I progressed to varifocal contacts so there's no need to additional reading or computer screen glasses. I would hate to be without them.

The only slight side effect is that my eyes tend to get dry in warm rooms but I always have one of those little bottles of refreshing eye drops handy and at home, when the heating's on, I have those little humidifier things full of water on the radiators.
Andere Richtingen

Postby vannin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Maywalk wrote:Did you go back to glasses then Vannin?

Sounded ruddy painful with wearing the contact lens. :huffin:

Yes, it was and the surface eye gel was still affected for a while after regretfully returning to glasses.
vannin

Postby Young Goat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 am

I tried soft contact lenses about 30 years ago but they gave me double vision so I didn't carry on with them. I think that's because I have slight astigmatism. I understand they have come on a long way since then and there are lenses now that correct that.
They aren't uncomfortable, you are unaware of them. I 'lost' one once it had gone up under my eyelid and I had no idea it was there because they are so soft.

In my opinion it's an expensive way of correcting one's vision when you take into account the cost of replacing them, and the cost of the cleaning solutions if you have reusables, plus the rigmarole of cleaning them
Young Goat

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:53 pm

That reminds me of my late sister who tried to wear soft lenses but rarely managed to get them in. She described it as "like putting cling film in your eye" which, I admit, made me shudder slightly. My Gas Perms are much easier and they correct astigmatism, too.
Andere Richtingen

Previous

Return to Anything Goes