Specky things, smaller than thunderflies.

Except Personal Attacks

Specky things, smaller than thunderflies.

Postby vannin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:13 pm

My kitchen has been invaded by tiny 'things' in the past month, they don't appear to walk or fly. They don't appear in clusters, just singly, on the floor, occasionally on worktops or in the sink. Are they the eggs of 'something? Certainly not the eggs of catfleas as Trixie has been treated. I have no indoor plants.

I am constantly using spray disinfectant, Flash for cleaning, and boiling water with disinfectant in the sink. There is enough to think about with sterile wipes every day. It shows my sight is not deteriorating as much as I feared!

My handyman repainted the front woodwork of the house including window frames and porch door, in one of the Summer heatwaves, poor chap, and this was followed by a great multitude of thunderflies. They appeared overnight forming a black blanket over some of the porch windows. I got rid of them by spraying, thank goodness.

But these little specks are different and they came in cold weather whereas thunderflies are in warm/hot weather. Anyone had any similar experience?
vannin

Re: Specky things, smaller than thunderflies.

Postby Penny » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 pm

Sorry, no idea. Jut hope they don't visit.me. cheers pemmy
Penny

Postby laurie53 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 pm

Droppings of something that crawls? Perhaps from the larval stage of something.

Something smaller than cockroaches but bigger than ants.

In bed areas I would suggest bed bogs, but not a kitchen.
laurie53

Postby vannin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 pm

Smaller than ants, than bed bugs (I think ) and smaller than mouse droppings. I vaguely wondered about woodlouse droppings after seeing a couple of woodlice on the outside of the back doorstep.
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:11 am

Woodlice droppings would have been my next suggestions.

Smaller than bed bug droppings means little more than dust - they are smaller than fly spots!
laurie53

Postby vannin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:00 am

Yes, they are barely a millimetre. If woodlice worm their way in from the back step at night, that could be it. I never leave the back door open, except in the height of Summer.
Must look up some info on them. I cannot use a repellant that might affect the cat. I am wondering if the eggs have been brought in on her paws. But the sink..........?
vannin

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Some years ago, I was in my Conservatory when a woodlouse, on the floor, gave birth to live young.

I had no idea that they did this and I watched as the little "critter" gave birth to loads of tiny creamy-white miniatures of itself.

Fantastic!
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby vannin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm

These are black! But today I am happy to report, I have not seen one ! Hopefully, my ( non-poisonous) disinfecting the kitchen has worked.
The closest experience which stayed at the back of my memory, was when I saw my grandmother open a bag of flour and quickly get rid of it: flour mites similar in size but lighter coloured (grey?!)
Last edited by vannin on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Sitting in the bathroom today I became aware of a Black blob moving slowly across the floor.

I assumed a big Bblack spider or a bumble bee, probably the latter as spiders have a fair ruin of speed and I had been attacked by a humble bee earlier in the day which had woken up early and was feeling a bit grumpy in the cold!

Acting on my usual principle that it hadn't done me any harm, I used my tooth mug and a piece of stiff card and put it out of the window!

I wonder what it was?
laurie53

Postby vannin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 pm

Some of the insect life we may never find the answers to! I must say, Before late March, I never scrutinised my surroundings so much in my attempted detection of tiny things - they were not even making movement but just appeared out of nowhere. I even wondered about the very small floater that remained in my right eye since March injection, whether that was the actual black spot I was seeing. But no, the floater moves around on walls and mid-air in tandem with me moving my head! A complete mystery but may be gone now. :magnify: :magnify:
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:55 am

Just found another one, crawling on the headboargvas I woke up(note the timer, 6.45)!

Definitely a humble this time, I was a lot closer!

A lucky escape.
laurie53

Postby vannin » Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Seven weeks later.
Spraying the kitchen was not enough, and I still saw a few isolated ones each day. I saw an item on Facebook for a plug-in repellant, and sent for it. Been plugged-in for a fortnight and has almost worked, but on some days I might see one.
vannin

Return to Anything Goes