Hi Everyone.

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Hi Everyone.

Postby vannin » Sat May 16, 2020 11:27 am

Lacemaker wrote:Vannin and Dita, Have you read any of Ellis Peters or Elizabeth Peters books ? You may have watched the Brother Cadfael tv series with Derek Jacobi in the title role although I think the books give a much gentler and more amusing touch to his character. Elizabeth Peters series of books are about a very intrepid and determined lady archeologist and her beloved husband and son excavating ancient Egyptians sites and the adventures they get up to - talk about the Perils of Pauline. Very amusing and a delight to read ! There must be at least 20 or more books in the series about Amelia Peabody, her husband Radcliffe and their son Ramses. :mrgreen:

Hi Lacemaker, I have read some Cadfael and also been on a Cadfael weekend to Shrewsbury, years ago! Not come across Elizabeth Peters , but making a mental note to look out for her books as well as Valerie Wood mentioned by Dita.

Nearly good afternoon to all, a sunny day. I hope everyone is well and staying alert!
vannin

Postby dita » Sat May 16, 2020 1:57 pm

I am almost certain that FB Papillon would be my Sophie, Vannin, she was only 7/8 yrs old and had Cancer, I adored her but the tumour had no cares about that. Ages later I got in touch with a breeder in the hope she could give me advice, consequently after lots of to and froing we sort of rescued Dolly from a very sad future, but she is now 12yrs and what a charactor.

Like Vannin I have not heard Elizabeth Peters either but Cadfael was one of my husbands favourite TV series next to Sherlock Holmes, sure he would have loved the books too. Valerie Wood has written books about Hull in the past, she was born in Yorkshire. She wrote The Hungry Tide which won the Catherine Cookson Prize For Fiction.
dita

Postby marieann » Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm

vannin wrote:
Lacemaker wrote:Vannin and Dita, Have you read any of Ellis Peters or Elizabeth Peters books ? You may have watched the Brother Cadfael tv series with Derek Jacobi in the title role although I think the books give a much gentler and more amusing touch to his character. Elizabeth Peters series of books are about a very intrepid and determined lady archeologist and her beloved husband and son excavating ancient Egyptians sites and the adventures they get up to - talk about the Perils of Pauline. Very amusing and a delight to read ! There must be at least 20 or more books in the series about Amelia Peabody, her husband Radcliffe and their son Ramses. :mrgreen:

Hi Lacemaker, I have read some Cadfael and also been on a Cadfael weekend to Shrewsbury, years ago! Not come across Elizabeth Peters , but making a mental note to look out for her books as well as Valerie Wood mentioned by Dita.

Nearly good afternoon to all, a sunny day. I hope everyone is well and staying alert!

I think you would enjoy Elizabeth Peters, Viv, the heroine reminds me of Penelope Keith In 'To the Manor Born' in fact that's how I see her as I'm listening, mine are audiobooks. The subjects are serious although the books are light hearted. I think you might enjoy them as well, dita, you have a sense of humour. I'm half way through the series I think at about book 13. I read one after the other and then have a long break so I still have quite a few to start on when I'm ready. .
marieann

Postby dita » Sat May 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Marieann I have never had anything to do with Audio Books and wouldn't know how to start-----:) thick or what ??? My sense of humour sometimes gets me into trouble but I don't care,
dita

Postby vannin » Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 pm

dita wrote:Marieann I have never had anything to do with Audio Books and wouldn't know how to start-----:) thick or what ??? My sense of humour sometimes gets me into trouble but I don't care,

Dita, keep right on with the sense of humour, or as my grandparents would have said ' Jest away, jest away'! Not enough of it in the world. :lol:

Marieann, thank you, I think I would enjoy the humour! I am re-reading 'Rags to Richie' which is Shane Richie's autobiography - because I have known people who knew him. Now, that is someone who has been quite OTT in many ways, including 'humour' (blagging he calls it!) sex addiction when younger, and too much Jack the Lad for too long. But he seems to have settled down in middle age, and has a lovely singing voice!
Last edited by vannin on Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vannin

Postby Lacemaker » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am

[quote="marieann" ] .....I think you would enjoy Elizabeth Peters, Viv, the heroine reminds me of Penelope Keith In 'To the Manor Born' in fact that's how I see her as I'm listening, mine are audiobooks. The subjects are serious although the books are light hearted. I think you might enjoy them as well, dita, you have a sense of humour. I'm half way through the series I think at about book 13. I read one after the other and then have a long break so I still have quite a few to start on when I'm ready. .[/quote]

I hadn’t linked Amelia with Audrey before but I can see the similarities now you mention it, marieann. I have just finished reading the first book, Crocodile on the Bank, again and I think Evelyn and Majorie have a lot in common, too.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby marieann » Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Lacemaker wrote:
I hadn’t linked Amelia with Audrey before but I can see the similarities now you mention it, marieann. I have just finished reading the first book, Crocodile on the Bank, again and I think Evelyn and Majorie have a lot in common, too.

I have an advantage, Lavcemaker, I'm listening to them and Barbara Rosenblatt has an accent very like Penelope Keith so it jumps out at me. She reads well. I reread series I love as well J. D. Robb's Eve Dallas books are some of my favourites crime, romance, angst and family all rolled into one great book I love them yet the author is actually Nora Roberts and her books I'm just not keen on. You're right about Evelyn and Marjorie they're the ballast.
marieann

Postby marieann » Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 pm

dita wrote:Marieann I have never had anything to do with Audio Books and wouldn't know how to start-----:) thick or what ??? My sense of humour sometimes gets me into trouble but I don't care,

That's a shame dita because they're company, an actual voice. I'm sure you could manage but it doesn't matter you can get them in print. I bought my first computer didn't know where to start but decided I should be able to do everything on it. I found ebooks when they were few and far between, bought a Sony ebook reader from E-bay and sat on it breaking the screen. When Kindles came out and Amazon took over I was in my element and the early Kindles had sound so if I wanted to get on with housework I put one in a bum bag stuck ear phones in and listened to a horrible electronic voice reading badly from the ebook. I usually ended up on the floor laughing. That has improved a bit and I do occasionally still use a Kindle touch to listen to one. That's why I started with proper audio books and mp3 players and I wouldn't want to be without them now.
marieann

Postby Lacemaker » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 am

I love books, marieann, and have thousands of them overflowing from shelves in the spare bedroom into the hallway and front entrance. I was thankful when the kindles came out and I now have two of these almost full, too. My favourite authors are (besides Ellis Peters and Elizabeth Peters) Jean Plaidy, Sir Henry Rider Haggard, Jack Higgins, Lee Childs, Georgette Heyer, Jon Cleary, Neville Shute .... really too many to list !

My father used to amuse my sister and I when we were small by telling us about the books he remembered reading when he was a boy. He was a big fan of Rider Haggard and between us we had a collection of around 40 of his books, some of them from the late 1800s. He had been searching for the book Ancient Alan for years when I came across it in a second hand book shop and he amazed me when he quoted a note at the bottom of one of the pages .... and even said which page it was on. He was in his 70s at the time and hadn’t read the book since he was 12/13 !
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby vannin » Tue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Jean Plaidy was proliific, wasn't she? Also using the nom-de-plumes Victoria Holt and Barbara Vine, if I am not mistaken. I recently read The Chimney Sweepers Boy by Barbara Vine and it is unlike any other book I have ever read. Also The Plantagenet Prelude by Jean Plaidy.
vannin

Postby dita » Tue May 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I have a Kindle,. infact more than one Marieann. I also have 100 Daily Deal books stashed away and get an e/mail each day with more temptations. Never had an Audio Book though.
dita

Postby marieann » Tue May 19, 2020 4:22 pm

I don't know what 100 Daily Deals books are but it sounds as though you are well stocked up, dita. :) I get kindle daily deals by email and a lot of other promotions.

When I go to buy a kindle book sometimes there is an offer in the payment box to buy Audible narration at a reduced price if I want it it downloads to my ipod.

I just like to be able to move around and do what has to be done without leaving my book behind. :lol:
marieann

Postby marieann » Tue May 19, 2020 4:45 pm

I haven't read any Jean Plaidy books but have a list of Victoria Holt books. I read some of these in Readers Digest Monthly hard backed books which I couldn't keep because I ran out of room for them but I have them in ebooks. I have read a couple from Barbara Vine but more from Ruth Rendell. I have most of Georgette Heyer's books and reread them often they make me smile.

I got a love of Agatha Christie and Edgar Wallace from my father, Lacemaker, I had all of Agatha Christie's paperbacks I think they may still be in the attic but I'll never have room to get them out. Edgar Wallace books weren't so easy to get until a couple of years ago I found the complete works on Amazon for 49p. I was delighted I think they have P G Wodehouse like that as well and other authors whose works are now out of copyrite.
marieann

Postby Lacemaker » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm

I have all of Agatha Christie’s books, too, and all but 2 or 3 of Jean Plaidy’s books. So many favourite authors !

Have you read any of Jon Cleary’s Scobie Malone series ? Being set in Sydney many of the locations in the books are familiar to me and add interest and enjoyment of the series.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby marieann » Wed May 20, 2020 6:05 am

Jon Cleary sounds very familiar but I don't think I have read any. I read LJ Ross for just that reason they're all set in Northumberland and Durham so I can picture the places while I'm reading.

You've really made me think Lacemaker, John Creasey and a big favourite of mine Dennis Wheatley. I read Creasey's Gideon of the Yard books of course, watched the tv series as well, but my favourite series of his was Inspector West I'm wondering if I would still enjoy re-reading those. We used to haunt Durham library after work looking for new James Bond books and after the first five films I hated James Bond couldn't read another book or watch a film. I watch and re-read John le Carre and have most of Len Deighton's books.

I'm going to see if I do still enjoy John Creasey that will keep me busy for a while.
marieann

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes