Hi Everyone.

Except Personal Attacks

Re: Hi Everyone.

Postby vannin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:59 am

Good morning to everyone. I was up early because of this dratted hospital rule of being ready for the transport two hours before the appointment. It means 8.30 today.
That is fine if it doesn't all go pearshaped like last time. I would be less forgiving on such a hot day.
vannin

Postby Penny » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:58 am

Morning all, very hot and sunny here, no wind. Hope everyone is keeping well and taking care. Hope your hospital visit goes O>K> vannin. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm

I'll do my bit of posting before the anaesthetizing drops wear off. Well, I was picked up at 9.10 for the 10.30 apt but was seen immediately at 9.40 and was out by 10.30!! The snag is waiting for the lift home and it didn't pick me up for nearly another hour, but it was a speedy ride and air-conditioned both ways.
vannin

Postby dita » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Can imagine how concerned you must have felt over that little Trixie doing what you would dread happening again after her last demonstration, little madam I bet she was having you on :) (jesting).
I can only remember my Dad saying 'sweating cobs' he was born in Sheffield ??? it is just a saying I was brought up with, he was in the far east during the war-----have started wondering now??
It is very hot again, keep cool everyone. ( keep ya powder dry) Hugs to Vannin and Trixie, from Dolly and me xxx
dita

Postby vannin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi Dita, she is always the picture of innocence, whatever the scenario.

Shortly before I retired, I worked with a Sheffield lady the same age. From the first day, she needed me to know Sheffield people are very straight-talking. 'What you see is what you get' and 'I tell it like it is'.
She did too.... and I was a teeny bit afraid of her for a while, but a golden heart beat within!
Love to you and Dolly from Trixie and me xx (Storms expected tomorrow) :sunglasses: My pendant arrived home today. :lol:
vannin

Postby dita » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: You describe my Dad to a T, he came from a family of 4 sisters + 1 Brother, he and Mum moved to Lincs when they married before the war, mainly because Mum had family who came from Gainsborough. They rented a lovely little bungalow, I made an entry---the war came, Dad was called up leaving Mum with a 2yr old + no money. She lost her home and we moved into my Grandma's at Newark. You have almost my life story now????
Pleased you got your pendant back safely. Hugs Dolly & me xxx :grouphug: :bighugs: :bighugs:
dita

Postby vannin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 pm

I know Gainsborough but it is 20 years since I was last there. My mother's youngest brother made his home near there in the village of Beckingham,because he was a charge nurse at Rampton. His widow still lives there. My first visit was in 1959, so did I just miss you? I was at the weddings of their two daughters in Gainsborough and the funeral of my uncle. I expect it has changed a lot. Hazel/Lacemaker lived there before Oz, of course.

I keep an even closer eye on Trixie in mid to late June, watching for the signs of her annual allergy. So far so good, this time. She seems to have more understanding of it each year, making the association that the outdoors is the problem. Her nightly outings get shorter and she sleeps indoors most of the daytime. :please: :magnify:
vannin

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 am

I just missed you, Vannin, I left there in December 1957. :mrgreen:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby vannin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am

Lacemaker wrote:I just missed you, Vannin, I left there in December 1957. :mrgreen:

Still we caught up in the 90s, didn't we? :sunglasses:
vannin

Postby dita » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi everyone, its boiling again today, good to see you Lacey, it funny how we always finish up in Gainsborough. My Uncle used to be the Blacksmith at Marton, years ago, does either of you know Marton?? Gainsborough has changed a lot now. Hugs from Dolly & me, my little Dog says " Don't forget Trixie, xxxxxx

I cant be very interesting cos I have quite a few remarks with no answers-------oh! dear :) xx
dita

Postby ciderman_nz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Is that Marton where Capt Cook came from? There's a town here called Marton but it was originally known as Tutaenui and the story goes that early settlers back in the 1840's formed a settlement and cleared forest to farm it. One day a group of Maori called by and their leader spoke English. The settlers asked him if there was a name for where they were. The Maori smiled and said "Yes it is called Tutaenui". Some years later a missionary visited and asked the name of their settlement. When they told him he laughed and said "That Maori had a sense of humour! 'Tutae' is excrement and 'nui' is a heap or pile". (Sorry if I've told this before but it always makes me laugh) Soon after that the locals renamed it Marton after Capt Cook's origins.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby vannin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Sorry I never said good morning , afternoon or evening. The computer had a glitch, must be the heat! Hope it stays OK now. Hello Ciderman Michael! No heatwaves for you or Lacemaker in your winter, I wouldn't mind a swap for the weekend, though it is supposed to be cooler tomorrow. The storms have not reached here.

Dita, I don't recall seeing Marton on our drives around where Notts, Lincs and South Yorks come together. My cousin Eileen lives in a village called Saundby which is close to her mum Mary's village, Beckingham, both are near Gainsborough. When we were first being driven around to see places, Sherwood Forest was included.

I have had the fans blowing around the house during this spell as well as wide-open windows. Our pets try to find new comfortable places to lie down, don't they. Years ago we invested in a portable air conditioner which is very heavy to move so I gave up using it. Also you need to keep windows/doors shut in the room with it, no use when we need to go back and forth to the kitchen/upstairs, and Trixie would have to be shut in or shut out. It is also very noisy.
Wishing everyone a good weekend. Trixie and I send hugs to Dita and Dolly. :bighugs: :lam: :grouphug:
Last edited by vannin on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:52 am

ciderman_nz wrote:Is that Marton where Capt Cook came from?.

Different Marton, Ciderman. Capt. Cook was from Marton-in-Cleveland, near Middlesbrough. There's a museum dedicated to his life & career in a modern building not far from his birthplace. The actual house where he was born was demolished long ago...

The Lincolnshire Marton referred to here is a pleasant village on the A156 between Lincoln and Gainsborough. It's a nice enough place where nothing much happens, very slowly. I grew up in Willingham, about 2.5 miles from Marton, also a smallish village in the 50s and 60s - but both are constantly expanding: a house or two here, a small estate there. Unlike NZ, England has more people than sheep and, for some reason, they insist on having houses to live in!

Marton is one of those names like Newport: there are an astonishing number of them throughout the world. I know of three Martons in Yorkshire alone!
Andere Richtingen

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:28 am

There is a Captain Cook’s cottage in Melbourne’s Fitzroy Gardens formerly owned by his parents which was dismantled and sent to Melbourne from Marton in Yorkshire but it is doubtful whether he ever lived there. Wikipedia tells us :

In 1933 the owner of the cottage decided to sell it with a condition of sale that the building remain in England. She was persuaded to change "England" to "the Empire", and accepted an Australian bid of £800, by Russell Grimwade, as opposed to the highest local offer of £300.[8][12]
The cottage was deconstructed brick by brick and packed into 253 cases and 40 barrels for shipping on board the Port Dunedin from Hull. Cuttings from ivy that adorned the house were also taken and planted when the house was re-erected in Melbourne. Grimwade, a notable businessman and philanthropist, donated the house to the people of Victoria for the centenary anniversary of the settlement of Melbourne in October 1934.[8]
The cottage immediately became a popular tourist attraction. In 1978 further restoration work was carried out on the cottage. An English cottage garden has been established around the house, further adding to its period reconstruction. Very few of the items in the house are from the Cook family, but all are representative furnishings of the period.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 am

With the Covid 19 restrictions easing here, our group lunches have started up again so I haven’t been checking up on forum every day.

I think it was in 2005 that we met up in London, Vannin, while I met up with Dita in 2007. Shutterfrog visited me in Sydney in 2004 and we met up again the following year when the old Hags Castle mob had a get-together in Otley before we travelled down to London for another get-together of the IDF50 forum. The daytime temperatures here at the moment have been around 15c up to about 21/22c and I can’t wait for summer to come around again. I don’t like the cold ! :mrgreen:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes