Anyone know about minute Ants

Except Personal Attacks

Anyone know about minute Ants

Postby Penny » Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am

I have started being overstocked with tiny black creatures. So very tiny and quick. Having a job keeping the numbers down. Never seen these before and I would appreciate any idea as to how to get rid. cheers Penny
Penny

Re: Anyone know about minute Ants

Postby vannin » Thu May 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Remeber my thread about these? They are thripps or thunderflies. Should be outdoors but choose to come in, even if no indoor plants for them.
vannin

Postby Penny » Thu May 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks vannin, I remembered the post but not who. Any idea what I do to get rid of? cheers Penny
Penny

Postby vannin » Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm

I was just finishing a really detailed thread on here to follow up my old thread which finished on 31st March when I had disinfected the kitchen. My post vanished, just like one I posted on the morning of Maisie's 90th.

In April,there was not a complete solution to my problem.

It was not an infestation, I know because I had one of those a year AGO on the inside window of the porch, like a black blanket. I emptied a large amount of Mr Muscle Window-cleaning spray and it killed them - 'dropped like flies'. What attracted them was the new white paint on the woodwork window frames and sills. Just completed by Jimmy in weather like this week. As well as new paint, they are attracted to all Whites (appliances, crockery etc) yellow, beige or magnolia (walls, surfaces, cupboard doors etc)

Penny, you don't say which part of the house it is. If you have potplants, I should move them to the garage because the Thripps' normal home is in gardens, anything that grows. They go indoors when weather is warm.

What I acquired since April really appears to have worked. I saw it advertised on Facebook and there is no address for the company, ,which is abroad. It is a set of three Ultrasonic Pest Repellers. They plug into a socket, which must be 1 metre to 2 metres from the floor. The nuisance was they were continental 2-pin plug-ins, so I had to order three adaptors for UK 3-pin, from Amazon. They have been in situ for ten days and, touch wood, I only see the occasional pest but not every day. There might be British counterparts to the ultrasonic but one needs to google them.
Last edited by vannin on Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vannin

Postby Penny » Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks vannin, The problem is in the Kitchen, They seem to appear from the larder. We have no indoor plants at all. Am goingto try spraying with such as Detol etc, fingers crossed
Penny

Postby vannin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Penny, in case the spraying is not 100% successful, there are quite a lot of Ultrasound repellants on Google pages. Here is an example
from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Ultra ... f25f-4ac7-
vannin

Postby maggieh » Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Or try vinegar and warm water in a spray Penny.
maggieh

Postby Penny » Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks all, Will get spraying. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby laurie53 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Any standard insect repellent will do it.

If you're not bothered by killing them Nippon ant killer works well, use very small access holes to protect bees and other friendlies.

Beware. In my experience the tiny ones have the worst bites!
laurie53

Postby vannin » Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm

The combination of Penny's daily praying, and the spraying, should put it right.
vannin

Postby vannin » Sat May 23, 2020 10:16 am

Good morning everyone. That was a nice torrent of rain in the night. We needed it and if it rains again overnight but is dry in the daytime, it should please most of us. I have yet to go out to examine the ground that was so cracked from dryness - probably won't see a difference yet.
The insect life in the kitchen - I was rejoicing a bit too soon. Today I found three on the cooker hob and five in the sink, which proves they are favouring stainless steel now, as well as the light colours I mentioned: white, yellow, beige etc.
vannin

Postby Penny » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Regarding above, I could not find any vinegar but yesterday I found a jar of pickle onions, so am using the vinegar, seems to be working well. Will keep you updated. cheers Penny
Penny

Return to Anything Goes