Did you watch

Except Personal Attacks

Did you watch

Postby Penny » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Did you watch the burial of Prince Philip today? Excellent but I was so sorry that everyone had to wear face mask inside.Everything went perfectly most arranged by the Prince himself. So sad the queen had to sit all alone. Hope a family get-together tonight will help her. cheers Penny
Penny

Re: Did you watch

Postby vannin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:01 pm

I watched most of the preliminaries and procession but not all of the service itself. Too many memories. But the amazing military pageantry was, as always, perfect. I cried when the two carriage ponies brought The Duke's carriage which was a poignant moment, especially as Prince Philip's riding hat was on the seat. I also cried when Nimrod was played. I always do! It was that number (Elgar's 9th Variation) that the bands always played when the coffins of fallen servicemen were flown in to Brize Norton
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Many have tried and failed.

No-one does a state occasion like the late, great Richard Dimbleby.

No-one on his team would have talked about a "lootenant" or an "honour guard"!
laurie53

Postby widget » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Watch it from about 2.30, love the soldiers, the service was very well done, good send off for him.
widget

Postby ciderman_nz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Watched live until 3 am . Very moving ceremony. Sad that the Covid affected the numbers but it was all very respectful of Phillip and the Royals.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby dita » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:03 pm

I too was in tears, my reasons the same as yours really Vannin, Elgar 9th--Nimrod and the military actions as the coffin was carried up the steps were a reminder of my own Father and indeed my own son retired after 23yrs service in the Medical Corps. I did feel that not having so much drama and crowd pulling it made it very personal to us all, in some ways.. Hard to explain
dita

Postby vannin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:38 pm

If the coffin is lead-lined, as we are told, the pall bearers had all those steps to climb and the standing halfway for the silence, must be fairly painful but no doubt they were feeling honoured to be chosen. I wonder if their RSM tested out their spine and shoulder strength beforehand.
I had that feeling too Dita, of it being more personal than previous full-state funerals.
vannin

Postby dita » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:47 pm

All in all Vannin with what you have just said, it must have been very agonising for them and I think we should all feel proud of our forces.
dita

Postby laurie53 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm

vannin wrote:If the coffin is lead-lined, as we are told, the pall bearers had all those steps to climb and the standing halfway for the silence, must be fairly painful but no doubt they were feeling honoured to be chosen. I wonder if their RSM tested out their spine and shoulder strength beforehand.
I had that feeling too Dita, of it being more personal than previous full-state funerals.

Rehearsals use a fully weighted coffin and any of the original squad of a dozen or so would have been replaced had they not been up to it?

There are recovery procedures for slips and trips and shoulder padding would have been adjusted for comfort and a "level playing field".

The military have done It once or twice before!
laurie53

Postby vannin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:34 pm

A poor chap fainted during the waiting in the grounds. In The Rifles, I think, and he kept hold of his gun when he went down. I hope he is not in trouble for fainting.
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am

The rule when going down is to hit the ground before your weapon so that you don't face charges for dropping it!

The second rule is if you do drop It go down as well. Penalties for fainting are less than those for fainting!

Oh, yes, there are penalties for fainting. Evidence will be collected about your breakfast, what time you went to bed, any drinking or roistering and so on.

I only went down once in the whole of my 40 years, in fact I didn't go down, just lurched, but an alert sergeant spotted me and supported me instantly.

Turned out I was ill I'm glad (and a little bit proud!) to say.
laurie53

Return to Anything Goes