Reminiscing. 1930s

Except Personal Attacks

Reminiscing. 1930s

Postby Maywalk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:03 pm

When looking back I realise what a full life I have had and when I finally got home after being in the so called Sisters-of-Mercy home I was allowed out with my brother in charge of me to play with other children. I was overawed with how the children were playing together because it had not been allowed in the home.
I learnt how to skip, play with two balls against a wall and even managing to play with three.
We played Marbles, Hopscotch, Snobs, Knocking down Ginger, Fagcards and many more outdoor games which not only kept us out of mischief but tired us out too.
It was Cats Cradle or making hats, ships and zeppelins out of newspapers if it was raining. We were only allowed one sheet of the newspaper BUT that was only after we had cut the rest up into fair sized squares to go on the string in the outside loos.
We had homemade scooters and trollies and if lucky a pair of skates.
Neighbours would be on the lookout in case any child hurt themselves but if we did it was our own fault and no talk then of making claims to councils or anywhere else.
One of the highlights of those days way back in the 1930s was when the Barrel Organ man came round playing his music for anyone to put a penny in his hat and it was great for the kids because they could dance to their hearts content.
All lovely memories that pop back in my mind every so often.The young ones of today dont know what they have missed.

Just before my 7th birthday I remember being given a flag like many more youngsters and waving it about as we sang because it was the coronation of George VI and his Elizabeth as king and queen of the United Kingdom on 12 May 1937.
This was the first year I went hop picking and I loved it.
Attachments
barrel_organ.jpg
barrel organ
barrel_organ.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Maywalk

Re: Reminiscing. 1930s

Postby vannin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Maisie, David would have enjoyed your post and pics (as I have) He would have been 90 last birthday. 1931 was a good year!
vannin

Postby ciderman_nz » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Life consists of anticipation and memories, there is no "Now" , it's already gone and you do the memories so well Maisie.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Penny » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:13 pm

Quite right, before I can ask .what day is it,its gone and its yesterday.

Penny
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:14 pm

Thanks Vannin and Michael.
Maywalk

Postby dita » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Reading the account of your life at that time brought some familiar things back from my past memories Maisie, even though there is a few years between us. Thankyou.
dita

Postby Maywalk » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone. :grouphug:
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes