Any suggestions?

Except Personal Attacks

Any suggestions?

Postby Maywalk » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 pm

When clearing out a lot of hubby's stuff I have found many cassettes that he has recorded of his big band music, that includes Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey and many others over the years since the 1940s.
I even have the player to play them on and I feel reluctant to throw them out and just wondered if anyone knew if there are folks who collect this sort of thing.
I would like them to be used instead of just binning them but I know with the high technology there is today it could be a pipe dream. I cant play them myself because my fingers keep going in spasms and its too fumbly for me now to try to get a cassette in the player.
Any ideas anyone.?
Maywalk

Re: Any suggestions?

Postby widget » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 am

Is there a care home near, sure they could use them, especially for dementia folk, they always remember music.
widget

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 am

That's a good idea Widget! When I worked at the museum, we used to take all sorts of old implements, books, blackboards and an old record player and some records to rest homes. As we played them the eyes of the patients lit up! They often couldn't remember what day it was but could remember the music from 60 years ago and it gave them such pleasure.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby widget » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:26 am

Agree ciderman, I volunteer in a care home and its surprising how they can sing all the words to old song but never speak to you,
widget

Postby widget » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 am

Well come on Maywalk you ask for any ideas
widget

Postby vannin » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:48 am

widget wrote:Agree ciderman, I volunteer in a care home and its surprising how they can sing all the words to old song but never speak to you,

Ciderman, so true. A friend of mine, who was our choir director for nearly 40 years, has sadly had Alzheimers for nearly 20 years, and in a local Home for 15 years. We visit and go to sing Christmas carols for the residents but she doesn't know any of us, no recognition at all, nor of her family.

BUT, sit her at a piano with some sheet music and 'voila'. There is a result, and she taps her feet to music or sings a few words.
vannin

Postby dita » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:18 pm

That is very similar to the way my step Mum was, strange how she suddenly became young and alive when hearing a tune or music she suddenly recognised.
dita

Return to Anything Goes