What a great pity.

Except Personal Attacks

What a great pity.

Postby Maywalk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:45 pm

After all the trouble I have had to get back in the forum it is such a shame that no one is calling in now. :roll:
Ah well !!! at least I tried. :dunno:
Maywalk

Re: What a great pity.

Postby widget » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:24 am

I agree, but with so few looking in here, it is hard to get anything going,
so what shall we talk about weather, health, "C"
I am going to help at our community center this year they put on Christmas dinner for the folk on there own, have not had it for 2 years so will be interesting to see how many we get, before that we use to have about 60, its all free, and so nice to see all the elderly who would have been home alone, enjoy themselves.
widget

Postby Penny » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pm

Fully agree, I look in every day but no luck. Think everyone one must still be posting on that other one. Can never remember the name. Strange here today, very sunny but a very dark sky. No wind and very cold. Take care all. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:01 pm

4 years ago, when we first moved to Masterton a local hotel called Copthorne, put on a free Christmas dinner for Gold Card (Over 65) holders. It was really sumptious! 3 courses, wine and cheese and coffee. Since then of course, Covid buggered it up. Not sure if they are back this year.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:12 pm

Yes this bloody virus really has taken its toll. :evil: :evil: :evil:

It put an end to many things and one of them was my do for when I reached 90. That was over two years ago now.
I had to cancel the booking plus loosing my deposit.

My family though got together with my neighbour's and they all came standing well apart along the drive to wish me a Happy Birthday.
Even the newspaper was there. It was a lovely surprise so I must not grumble.

I have let my friends and family know that they can have a rave up at my wake to make up for the missed get together that we should have had.
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 pm

Awoke to a very heavy frost this morning, minus 1 and a promise of minus 2 by morning. Is it countrywide or just this area. cheers
Penny

Postby widget » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:53 pm

You are right about covid changing a lot of things, my favourite Country and Western club closed down, the local theatre group also never started again, carpet bowls club never started again, but we did manage to start our Garden Club again, this time we changed from evening to afternoon meetings, and so far is going well.
I have joined the U3A, have any off you heard of it???
widget

Postby ciderman_nz » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:21 pm

I have belonged to U3A for quite a few years. I have found the options of different topics very inspiring. One of our groups is called "With Love" and the intention is to write about our life that might be of interest to our grandchildren when they themselves become grandparents. It has motivated many topics that might otherwise be lost.
We also have groups on Politics, Gardening, French, Ukelele, walking etc etc
Recommend it.
ciderman_nz

Postby maggieh » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:20 pm

The drawing group I used to go to every week closed when Covid arrived and did'nt open up again.I have now got plenty of hobbies to do indoors,painting models,jigsaw puzzles,draw and colour things.A friend comes round once a week we either sit and paint some models she made years ago or we just sit with coffee having a chat.
maggieh

Postby widget » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:02 pm

I have only joined one group of the U3A, it is Brain and Board Games, some play Scrabble I prefer Rummicubs, might join a gardening group next year might fancy Croquet never played that.
widget

Postby Maywalk » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:43 pm

I have heard about the U3A group but never thought to join it.

It might help if one can just see what the different interests entail because I believe one has to pay to join.
NO I am not being mean minded, but one could join and find nothing of interest to him/her.
Maywalk

Postby widget » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:12 pm

I can put in U3A North Walsham and it comes up with the group I belong to and shows all the groups. so put U3A and your nearest town and see if there is a group near you, ours is £15 a year.
widget

Postby ciderman_nz » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:33 am

Ours is $10 per year and anyone can start a group as long as a few people are interested in the chosen topic.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Its not like a forum then.? Like this one for example.?

What exactly, are those who join it, paying for? :?
Maywalk

Postby widget » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:25 pm

Can only speak for the group I am in, but we meet once a month in the local hall and have a speaker, some more interesting than others, had a brilliant ex London policeman telling us all about crime in the 60's, then we had a woman telling us all about her travels around the world, and Dec we had a couple playing lots of different instruments and singing christmas songs.
I may join some more groups next year.
widget

Next

Return to Anything Goes