A true tale from the past.

Except Personal Attacks

A true tale from the past.

Postby Maywalk » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 pm

As you all know I am well past my sell by date and I have been clearing out old papers and many things that I have collected over the past years.
Given away many to anyone who wanted one as a memento.

When going through one drawer I came across a knitting pattern and to tell the tale of this we go back over 40 years ago.
I just had to write the tale down and share it with anyone who wants to read it and I can well understand if after reading it you may scoff but it is a true tale.

I was shopping with my sister Amy and I said I wanted to pop in the wool shop to get some yarn. I was an avid knitter but no way could I teach my sister to knit because she was left handed and she just could not get the hang of it and I certainly could not knit left handed. Anyway while I was choosing my yarn my sister spotted the pattern as shown and said that she would love it.
This put the idea in my head to knit it for a Christmas box for her and I bought the pattern and the yarn to make it a week later when I went shopping on my own.

I finished it well before Christmas and wrapped it up ready. I asked Cliff -my hubby -if he would put it in the top of the built cupboard over our bed because he was taller than me.
Three times he put it up and three times it fell out again.
He was ready to start cursing but I just said " Leave it out because she wont be wearing it" He did not query what I said because I had had similar premonitions in the past.
We went back in the lounge and about 30 minutes later the phone rang and her d-i-l telling us that my sister had died of a heart attack.
Amy was about 63 then and was 8 years older than me.

I gave the jumper away to charity because I just could not bring myself to wear it although Amy and I were the same size.

Oddly enough I just could not throw away the pattern that I kept separate from my others.

Life can be a bitch at times.
Attachments
ENTRELAC FULL PATTERN.jpg
ENTRELAC FULL PATTERN.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Maywalk

Re: A true tale from the past.

Postby Penny » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:12 am

Lovely Maywalk, wish you could make one like that for me. cheers
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:07 pm

I cant hold the needles now Penny.
I only wish I could.
My blasted fingers keep seizing up and I drop the knitting which pulls the stitches off the needles.Its ruddy painful too. :roll: :roll:
Maywalk

Postby widget » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:49 pm

I remember knitting one of those jumpers, not sure I could do it now, they were very popular then, and if I remember right, was not to hard a pattern in them days.
widget

Postby Maywalk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:57 pm

No it wasn't hard to do widget, but NO way could I knit one now.
It takes me all my time to cut a slice of bread in half nowadays without my fingers seizing up. :huffin:
Maywalk

Return to Anything Goes