Has anyone got a cold right now?

Except Personal Attacks

Has anyone got a cold right now?

Postby Monika » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm asking because I started with a thumping head on Sunday and a sore throat.

I checked the online swine flu pages and read the symptoms and feel sure that I don't have the flu' as I don't have many of them.

I think I have a cold and it is affecting my sinuses really badly. My eyes are made up and running; they are looking sore and red now and my head is full of pain with teeth hurting, ears hurting, behind the eyes hurts and I'm getting pains at times in my head.

I don't feel too good but, on the other hand, I feel better than I would if I really had the flu' - I remember how dreadful I felt when I did once have it.

I've had to spend the last two nights sleeping upright in an armchair as I feel a little better for not lying on my head.

I'm posting this because I suppose I'm looking for reassurance and I want someone to post a reply saying - yes, I had the same thing and it took x number of days and now I'm fine. :please:

Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Dragon Lady » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Nothing at present, but I have had bad colds that have affected my sinuses in the past. I remember one that took two weeks before I started feeling any better - by which time my language was deteriorating rapidly!!

Poor you, you must be feeling miserable. Hope you start feeling better again really soon!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Rowan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Davy has had a heavy cold for the last two weeks - it is clearing up now but he was miserable with it. He had the sore throat, sinus headache pain and a harsh cough
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monika » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks very much DL and Rowan - I do feel reassured even though I recognise that the light at the end of the tunnel may be a little way away yet.

And - Rowan - how dreadful for your Davey to have had to go through all the worry and stress of your hospitalisation whilst suffering the misery of a cold as well.

I do so hope that you are both feeling so much better right now.
Monika

Postby dejavou » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm fine, but himself has got a cold, it came on after he got a reminder for his flu jab :dunno:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Tiddles » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:42 pm

my son has had one - trying to keep away from him and dosing myself up with my anti-cold medicine - a single malt!
Tiddles

Postby Monika » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 pm

:rolleye11: tiddles - ideally that would be on prescription :mrgreen:

I did read, recently, that some US doctors recommend putting 3% hydrogen peroxide in the ears at the first sign of a cold and they say that the cold does not develop further.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried this and, particularly if it worked.
Monika

Postby Anya » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 am

Monika - I get an occasional blocked ear and use Otex, from time to time, which is 3% peroxide. Never stopped me getting a cold.

Tell you what I did do. My little grandchildren used to have colds, coughs and snuffles, as little children do and every time I was with them, I picked up some dreaded lurghie.

I got into the habit of rinsing and gargling with warm water and a teaspoon of sea salt, as soon as I got home. Inhaling the warm salty water up the 'ooter and 'aving a good blow (Sorry !!)

Since doing that, I have not had one single lurghie, in years.
Anya

Postby dita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:32 am

Catarah is my problem, blocked ear through blocked sinuses, which affects my throat too. had it ages.

Think I am allergic to better half, it is always worse when he is around. :sad:
dita

Postby Monika » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: at Dita.

The last two days I've been doing sea-salt nasal irrigation and I think it has certainly made a difference and, today, I am starting to feel a bit better.
Monika

Postby Dragon Lady » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Last winter, at the first sign of a cold (or if I knew I had been in contact with someone with one) I used Vick First Defence. It seemed to work because that I'm-getting-a-cold feeling just went and I had a good winter with only one slight one for a few days.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Liz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Oh I am so hoping I don't get a cold or anything really.

Hubby has been in hospital for the last 11 weeks with breathing problems. If when they say he can come home and I have a cold they will keep him in even longer!!!

So many colds and D&V going around at the moment though.
I live where its booooootiful
Liz

Postby mo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm

Monika
I do hope you are feeling better now.
mo

Postby Monika » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Oh dear Liz - I do so hope that you don't get a cold this winter - I am so sorry that hubby has been in hospital for such a long time and I hope that he'll be able to come home soon.

It's been such lovely weather too lately - it's a shame he's had to miss that. :grouphug:

Thanks for posting about the success with the Vick First Defence, DL. I've not heard of it before, so it's good to know about these things, especially if they work.

And - thank you, Mo, I feel very positive that I'm on the up now and am feeling slightly improved.
Monika

Postby Tiddles » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm

I have had far fewer colds since retiring.
Tiddles

Next

Return to Anything Goes