Is it risky going on holiday with friends?

Except Personal Attacks

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:29 pm

My January break was a designated Singles holiday and we were a group of twenty-seven....21 women and six men; I don't think men find it easy, as you say Rowan. Many of the women went in pairs of established friends, others alone like me but made to feel welcome. Or I could choose my own company/space.

The Austrian holiday was not a Singles, I can't remember the headcount of the group, but half were married couples, the other half 'like us'. Several pairs like Pat and myself and also four ladies on their own, but always drawn in by the others. There was one sole gentleman in his eighties who had brought his female neighbor.

Viv
vannin

Postby Rowan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 am

Seems like a great idea to me - anything that helps people to have some enjoyment.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:17 am

I had to really push myself to get out of the house by myself after my husband died but now I am so glad I did. Instead of hiding myself away I can confidently go anywhere and know that I will have a good time whether I am in a group or alone.

You cannot live on past memories alone - you have to move forward and create new ones especially when you have young children to bring up.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Anya » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:45 am

Hazel, it's good that you can enjoy holidays on your own. Two things that I have never liked to do, on my own, going on holiday and going to the cinema or the theatre.

Travelling on my own for work is different, I don't mind that at all, I have things to do during the day and often people extend an invitation to dinner in the evening. When possible, I extend the trip by a few days, so that I can explore the area.
Anya

Postby dita » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:57 am

Goodmorning Anya you always pop in early, It is easy to get a stay at home when you face isolation.
dita

Postby vannin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 am

Lacemaker wrote:I had to really push myself to get out of the house by myself after my husband died but now I am so glad I did. Instead of hiding myself away I can confidently go anywhere and know that I will have a good time whether I am in a group or alone.

You cannot live on past memories alone - you have to move forward and create new ones especially when you have young children to bring up.

Exactly! My most recent foray across a sea, was at the beginning of August - mini-break to Dublin. Though I used to do that 'all the time' in my teens and twenties, natural confidence wanes over the years, and we become accustomed to relying on husbands. My trips to London (approx 2 hours each way) I have always done by public transport, my husband was never keen on returning to his London. So now when I go every week as a babysitter, it could almost be in my sleep!!

Viv
vannin

Previous

Return to Anything Goes