What's to be afraid of?

Except Personal Attacks

What's to be afraid of?

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:14 pm

On some forums I've been on, the members are very cagey about showing their own picture in their avatars. They prefer to keep their ID completely hidden.... some not even revealing their first name!... I've always shown my pic and been quite open about myself.

What are they afraid of I wonder?
caroljoyce

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:07 pm

As another member here can testify, your avatar can be found via Google by just putting in the user name and clicking on images! Also, don't forget strangers can look into the forums (apart from areas that are made members only). Your mugshot could be flying all around the internet for all you know.

I think its best to put minimum information onto forums, other than whether you are male or female and what part of the country you live in. I have certainly never used my own picture as an avatar.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby mo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:14 pm

If anyone is that worried about others finding out about themselves, why do they bother to go on forums.
mo

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Dragon Lady wrote: Your mugshot could be flying all around the internet for all you know.

Flying all round the internet in what capacity Dragonlady?

I mean to say, What can they DO with my face? ... I think some people are just too paranoid!!
caroljoyce

Postby Maywalk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Well Carol and Mo if I was good looking perhaps I would be flaunting my photo. :twisted:
My dog avatar is better looking than me so I will stick with that. :rolleye11:
Maywalk

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Maisie nobody is more open than you. We know your full name and where you live so obviously you aren't worried. (And you've been on telly!)lol
I did hear somebody once say that a forum friend turned up on their doorstep with a birthday card for them... meant no harm but still a bit of a shock. I must admit I wouldn't have like that!

Have you ever had any nasty (or even nice) experiences because of your openness Maisie?
caroljoyce

Postby Maywalk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Not had any nasty experiences Carol but some very interesting ones.
Its been a wonderful time since I first had my computer and I have met some super folk in cyberland.
I would have loved to have met them in real life but I cant travel now and nor can hubby.
The TV and Radio interviews came about because my evacuee story was read by
researchers at Saga and through my local radio on my WW2 website.
It was also picked up by Pete Watermans researcher when he wanted WW2 stories about steam trains.
She read that the evacuee train I was on had been machine gunned and she phoned me to ask me if they could interview me on the Central Station where I first alighted in the Midlands as an evacuee.
It was all go after that and I finished up in one of the programmes that Pete Waterman was sponsoring.
Just for the record though I was NOT paid for it although they did supply the car to take me to the station and back home again after the interview. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Re: What's to be afraid of?

Postby clevewyn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 pm

caroljoyce wrote:
What are they afraid of I wonder?

Those who are not honest and hell bent on deception and troublemaking I should think.

clevewyn

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Carol, you are a nice looking woman and you would be surprised what some of those perverts do when looking at pictures on the internet - ugh! That's a reason why people are often reluctant to post pictures of their grandchildren on internet forums.

I really don't think it matters whether people use their own photographs or another picture for their avatar.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby mo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:10 am

I personally would love to see who I am posting to.
Nothing to do with looks just interested. Looks are only skin deep.
Anyway Maisie, you have shown us your photo from your diamond wedding anniversary, and you look so lovely and kind.
Those who put on funny avatars make me believe that is what they look like.
If I hadn't seem Tony's photos I would have believed I was posting to an old man from Last of the Summer Wine. :roflmao:
I've just updated my avatar since my fall. Yuk.
mo

Postby Rowan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 pm

I like to see people's faces too and I don't have a problem with anyone seeing mine or knowing my real first name. I am just interested in people really.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:35 pm

I just hate having my picture taken
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby mo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I must admit it does seem strange posting to a foot :roflmao:
mo

Postby dejavou » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 pm

mo wrote:I must admit it does seem strange posting to a foot :roflmao:

But they are very smiley toes Mo :roflmao:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Anya » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 am

People are often advised to remain anonymous on the Net, because of many scams. They can exchange photos and information via private message and email.

Years ago a woman gained entry into dozens of elderly people's homes, in a number of areas, by saying she was from the council, she carried an 'official' looking card, with a photo that looked near enough, a name and an address she had picked up on the Net. Fortunately she did not harm the victims but took their handbags, possessions, valuables, pension money ... all sorts.

The police pursued the woman whose identity had been stolen and took them a long time to catch the real culprit.
Anya

Next

Return to Anything Goes