Should they - or shouldn't they?

Except Personal Attacks

Should they - or shouldn't they?

Postby Monika » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Yesterday, when we went to visit Mum in the Care Home, there was a new resident sitting opposite her who, to my surprise, had a Yorkshire Terrier with her.

Apparently, it is the woman's dog and is staying there with her.

I don't know if the new resident is just there for respite care or is there for keeps, but I don't think it right that anyone should be bringing a dog into the Home.

Most of the residents spend their entire day in the big room, and are there from breakfast to bedtime; none of them are very steady on their feet and there is no-one able to walk without the use of a frame or walking stick.

The dog doesn't seem to be running around, but in the corner where Mum sits there are more than enough hazards already covering the floor to make it akin to an obstacle course without another which, let's face it. can be unpredictable and may decide to suddenly get up and move around when one of the residents is trying to manoeuvre their way across the floor.

I don't think this is right at all and I am quite concerned that it may be an accident waiting to happen.

What's your view?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby dejavou » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't have a problem with it Monika, so long as she keeps it under control of course. Sometime when I go visit my friend who is in a Dementia Home, I take my little dog with me and it's amazing how the residents all love to see him, in fact one lady who used to be quite aggresive towards me, is now nearly my best friend, because she remembered she used to have Jack Russells, and although she can't remember her own name, she always ask after my dog
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Penny » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm

I am sure every care and thought has been put into this problem. When my old friend went ino a home some years ago, I took over his labrador dog and used to take it in to see my friend almost every day. most of the other old people would ask to stroke the dog and of course he loved it. Shouldn't worry Monica, it must be lovely just to have something still in your life, am sure the lady will keep it by her side. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby Rowan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm

As long as it isn't a nuisance by jumping up on the residents, I'm sure it will become everybody's pet. I like to see people being able to bring their pets to a care home, children too, it keeps them alert and interested.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby sweetpea » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm

We may see more pets in Care Homes in the future, if a recent Bill goes through

(Short extract googled)

Nick Palmer (Broxtowe, Labour)

"I beg to move,

That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make provision for residents of care homes to keep domestic pets in certain circumstances; and for connected purposes.

In addition to Bill read the First time; to be read a Second time on Friday 16 October and to be printed (Bill 129)"

Personally, I am all for it, but can understand your worries for your Mother's safety or whether in fact, the residents were asked if they minded a dog amongst them, but I would think the management and staff will be keeping a watchful eye on things.
sweetpea

Postby dejavou » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 am

There are many Care Homes, that now, like hospitals welcome Pat Dogs as it is proven to lift the spirits when people are feeling low, we even have a couple of Homes here which have regular visits from a Donkey (don't think they do rides though :roflmao: )

Going back to the subject of your mums home Monika, the only problem I could perhaps see happening, is that the Yorkie gets so spoilt by everybody, that there may be the danger of it thinking it's the leader of the pack and getting a little peevish .... as despots tend to do :rolleye11: Just keep a watchful eye, I'm sure all will be well
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Monika » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks for all your feedback everyone.

I have always thought the PAT dogs a good idea; they are bought into hospitals and homes by people who have them firmly under control and, yes, it's lovely for those they are visiting. I just have reservations about a dog spending long hours in the communal room where Mum is and presenting a safety problem.

However, I have learned to face life's worries with the thought that you can spend a lifetime worrying about something that never happens so, I try not to do generally.

I have to say that all your posts have been encouraging and, while we were there, this dog was extremely docile and was sitting quietly - so - hope it stays that way.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Just to put another slant on this; I wonder what would happen if one of the other residents didn't like dogs?

Would their feelings be considered at all?
caroljoyce

Postby dita » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:03 pm

I would rather have a pet by my side than some of the abusive staff and sometimes family members who are so caring and kind. At least if an animal does not like you it is honest about it.
People and Pets are known to pine for each other.
When one is deserted by your family, who do you rely on?
dita

Postby mo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Personally I think it a great idea to have your pet with you if you go into a home, as long as the pet is looked after and isn't a nuisance to the other residents.
mo

Return to Anything Goes