Can I come back please?

Except Personal Attacks

Can I come back please?

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Hello all.
I feel ashamed that I have been away for so long, and only posted the odd thing over the last few years.

A lot has happened though. My husband has Emphysema. COPD and now heart problems. He spent 4 months in Papworth hospital recently and has now been home for 4 weeks, and I am just hoping he doesn't have to go back in and be in there over Christmas. He is in and out of hospital all the time.
He is on oxygen 24 hours a day, he can manage to get to the loo and the kitchen but that is all.
I have to do everything for him right from showering him in a morning to getting him to bed at night.
Please don't think I am moaning, I aren't. I would do anything for him, after all he has looked after myself and the girls all these years.
I think at times my hobby of card making has been my only relaxation.
Some days he will be asleep most of the day, just waking to eat and drink.
But I still get some good conversations out of him and he is aware of everything that is going on.

I remember most of you though there are a couple of new names.
I live where its booooootiful
Liz

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:43 pm

:welcome1:
Its lovely to see you back with us again.
I am SO sorry to read this about your hubby.

Cant you get any help, such as carers to call in to shower hubby in the morning and get him to bed at night?
Maywalk

Postby Monika » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Hello Liz.

I am really sorry to hear about your husband and all you two have been through. (I was diagnosed with COPD earlier this year too and have to used inhalers now).

Back to you - it's great to hear that you enjoy some good conversations and he's still a good companion despite the difficulties you both face.

My love to you both and all good wishes for the future. :grouphug: :grouphug:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby dita » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Liz, Good to see you here again.
You are having a rough time, sorry to hear this love.
Look forward to seeing you back.
dita

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Liz, If you're the same Liz I'm thinking of didn't we both drive the same model Hyundi car? ... Ohhh, that was along time ago Liz. (if it is you)

Anyway, it's nice to see you here... A big welcome back from me. :welcome1:
caroljoyce

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Welcome back Liz.
This little band of forumers on here are good at support and understanding as I know from my own experience. :wave:

They are also good at nicking any choclit or confectionery that's not nailed down.
Victors Mate

Postby mo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Liz.
So very nice to see you back, but so very sorry to read about your husband's problem. It must be so terribly hard on you both.
We've had problems, but when you read others you realise how luck you are.
Keep chatting on the forum. It does help when you're feeling down, and also helps you aren't neccessarilly on your own.
Big hugs from me.
mo

Postby Penny » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Welcome back Liz. Sorry about your hubby and keeping fingers crossed for you both. We are all here to lend our support so look after yourself and keep posting. cheers Penny. :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Vince » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Can I say Welcome Home, so sorry to hear about your problems, and please chat away as time presents itself.
Vince.
Vince

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Oh gosh, you are still the great lot you always were.

And yes Carol, I am the same Liz that had the same Hyundi car as you did :) We went on to have a Nissan note as we could get the scooter in there, but then when I had to take over the driving I wanted a smaller car, especially as we don't do long journeys now, so we now have a little Nissan Micra, its smashing, I can park anywhere with that lol

Masie, the only problem with having a carer coming and doing these things is that sometimes it could be 10am before he gets showered or later, and then they could arrive at 8pm to put him to bed.
I manage fine at the moment, but when the time comes then yes I shall ask for help.
My daughter has just retired from the RAF after 25 years, and they have bought a bungalow about ten minutes walk from us, so if I do have a problem them I call on her. She was a medic in the RAF, so knows all about washing someone but not actually looking at them:)
I live where its booooootiful
Liz

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Its good to know that you have help nearby Liz.
Maywalk

Postby clevewyn » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello your Maj, long time no see.

Sorry to hear about your other half, our best wishes to you both.
clevewyn

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 pm

First of all welcome back Liz, secondly, I am so very sorry about your husband. There is quite a few of us on here with COPD/Emphysema - me included, with all the resultant problems. I was diagnosed ten years ago but it is only in the last two years that I was forced to giving up work after a particularly bad flu. I am not yet on oxygen but have had several spells in hospital, not only with the COPD but with some lovely extra illnesses and problems - my husband is wonderful and takes care of everything, I don't know what I would do without him.

So you just come on here, even if it is only to sound off - we all know how useless the social care is and how difficult it is to get help.

If there is anything asny of us can help you with - just ask.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Welcome back Liz, sorry about your poor hubby, but remember a trouble shared is a trouble halved, so offload on us if you feel the need :grouphug:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Welcome back from me, too, Liz, and my sympathies to you both over your husband's condition. :grouphug:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Next

Return to Anything Goes